Study spots for study days

WEB_study_days
Sara Shoemake | The Observer

Study days are usually as miserable as they sound, but they don’t have to be! Sometimes a change in venue is all it takes to relieve writer’s block or reinvigorate efficiency. Spend some of your extra study time in one, or more, of these spots.

The Birdsell Mansion

The Birdsell is opening its doors Wednesday through May 7 as a study destination. Head over between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. (2 p.m. through 8 p.m. on Sunday) to share space, art, food and coffee on the first floor of the mansion.

There will be separate rooms for quiet studying and socializing, as well as a communal table where Zen Café will provide coffee and brain-food. Choose from desks, couches and rocking chairs to study or relax in. Head outside for a study break to play Frisbee, golf or take a nap in the sun. There will also be an exercise bike if you need to relieve some stress and a bed if you need to give up.

The communal table will feature pour-over coffee, loose teas, an organic oatmeal bar, local eggs, muffins, baked sweet potato fries, homemade bread for sandwiches, nuts, salad, fruit and crock-pot soups, chilis and curries throughout the week. Everything available is help-yourself with a suggested donation.

The Birdsell does not have Wi-Fi so make sure to download your PowerPoints before heading over for a study session bereft of Internet procrastination.

Snite Museum

The Snite Museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on study days. Study amongst art (aka get smarter and more culturally refined at the same time) on the tables and chairs provided. There will be outlets and Wi-Fi available, as well as free coffee and sweets. If you’re in pursuit of an outdoors study spot, checkout the courtyard.

When the Snite closes at 5 p.m. Thursday head over to the Coleman-Morse Center for an hour-long reviving meditation.

Outside

Take advantage of the warm weather and pull the “s’college” move of studying on the quad. With highs ranging 60 to 75 degrees and the chance of rain below 20 percent each day, grab a blanket, hammock or just yourself (if you are feeling extra earthy-crunchy) and head outdoors.

Studying outside allows you to play your music out loud, giving your sore ears a break from those headphones. It also is conducive to spontaneous exercise and sports.

Grounds and Hounds

This event is more of a study break than a study spot. Head over to the Brownson Hall Courtyard between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Friday for free coffee and dogs. (Okay, well not free dogs but you can go pet dogs and get free coffee.)

Hopefully these study spot suggestions inspire you to leave the confines of the library for a while. (I’m talking to you people already planning your takeover of The Fishbowl’s booths. Please do us all a favor and leave the library to go to one of these more exciting venues — or at least shower and clean up your Cheetos dust.)