The Wednesday Lunch Donation success

Since 1974, the World Hunger Coalition has been dedicated to helping alleviate hunger locally and around the world. We would like to express our thanks to the hundreds of students who participated in the Wednesday Lunch Donation this year. When students opt out of eating dining hall lunch on Wednesdays, Notre Dame Dining Services donates the money saved from producing less food to us, the World Hunger Coalition. We then allocate this money to domestic and international organizations that combat hunger.

This year, with more than 470 Wednesday Lunch Donation participants, we raised more than $22,500 for hunger relief efforts. We donated a portion of this money to Mary’s Meals to provide a full year of school lunches to the school we sponsor in Malawi. After partnering with Steve Reifenberg’s Intro to International Development class, we are making a $5,000 grant to Ecova Mali and smaller donations to Holy Cross Missions in Kenya and Project Peanut Butter. Domestically, we have partnered with alumni clubs to match donations to worthy hunger relief organizations, including Catholic Charities in Lake County, Illinois, and House of Bread in Hartford, Connecticut. Locally, we have donated to Monroe Park Grocery Co-op, a wonderful organization addressing the food desert in downtown South Bend. We are excited to see these donations make an impact in the year to come.

Thank you to all those involved in the campaign this year, and thank you especially to Notre Dame Dining Services for their continuing support — because of your generosity, we are able to take small steps toward fighting hunger in our community and around the world. If you didn’t sign up for the Wednesday Lunch Donation this year, please consider signing up in August. We invite you to join us in our efforts. If you have any questions about the World Hunger Coalition or the Wednesday Lunch Donation, please contact club president Zoe Rae Rote at whc@nd.edu or zrote@nd.edu. Thank you all for making this year a success; we are looking forward to another great semester in the Fall!

Zoe Rae Rote

junior

April 25