Coroner: Kim died from accidental drug overdose
Observer Staff Report | Wednesday, May 20, 2015
The St. Joseph County Coroner’s Office released its official findings Monday in the death of 21-year-old sophomore Daniel Kim, ruling his death in early February an accidental drug overdose.
The coroner ruled that “the combined toxic effects of heroin and amphetamines,” caused Kim’s death, deputy coroner Dr. Michael O’Connell said.
Kim was found on Feb. 6 in his off-campus residence, according to a University press release announcing his death.
A native of Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, Kim was majoring in the Mendoza College of Business and a former member of the fencing team whose friends remembered him for his humor, kindness and love of philosophy.
Kim was the first of two members of the Irish fencing team lost this semester; senior Billy Meckling died last Saturday after falling from the roof of the Joyce Center.