Students react to death of senior

Early Saturday, the class of 2015 was caught off guard by the news of the death of fellow senior Billy Meckling, who fell from the roof of the Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center (JACC).

“This is absolutely shocking news for the Notre Dame family,” senior Jacob Lee said. “I can't even imagine how the senior's parents are feeling right now considering graduation is a day away. My heart goes out to all his friends and family. May he rest in peace.”

Meckling, a mechanical engineering major and four-year member of the varsity fencing team, was set to receive his degree Sunday.

“A student passing away is tragic under any circumstances, but this is especially unfortunate because he was a senior, and he was a day away from graduation," Senior Yixin Huang said. "I feel so bad for his parents.”

“I was incredibly saddened to hear the news,” senior Kelsey Amarosa said. “No matter what, we are the Notre Dame family, so hearing that we lost one of our fellow Domers was shocking and tragic. I can't even imagine what his family is feeling at this time. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and loved ones.”

Students are still trying to come to terms with the news while spending time with loved ones on campus.

“I haven’t really processed the news to be honest; it’s still not registering,” Huang said.

“This tragedy will absolutely put this weekend into a different perspective for me and I will embrace the time I have with my parents even more,” Amarosa said.