Ammonia leak at Compton leads to 90-minute evacuation
Observer Staff Report | Friday, July 31, 2015
An ammonia leak in the mechanical room at the Compton Family Ice Arena led to a brief evacuation of the building Friday afternoon.
The leak was discovered at about 12:05 p.m., University spokesman Dennis Brown said. An employee went to the Notre Dame Wellness Center after inhaling some ammonia.
Brown said a hazmat team arrived to inspect the building but did not find any other issues, and the leak was only in the mechanical room.
“The South Bend Fire Department hazardous materials unit was called in for technical support out of an abundance of precaution, not out of necessity,” Brown said in an email.
The building opened again at about 1:30 p.m.