Notre Dame inducts new members into Board of Trustees

This past May, Notre Dame’s Board of Fellows and Board of Trustees both added new members, as Fr. Austin Collins joined both organizations and Clare Stack Richer and Byron Spruell joined the Board of Trustees.

The Board of Fellows consists of six members of the Congregation of the Holy Cross and six laypeople whose duties include amending the bylaws of the University and electing new trustees. According to its website, the Board's purpose is to “ensure that the University maintains its essential character as a Catholic institution of higher learning.”

News_Trustees_Web
Lucy Du
Lucy Du

The Board of Trustees also includes a mixture of members from the Congregation of Holy Cross and laypeople. The trustees have a general power of governance excluding the powers listed in the bylaws reserved only for the Board of Fellows. The Board of Trustees consists of twelve specific committees that meet at least three times a year.

Collins became the religious superior of Holy Cross Priests and Brothers at Notre Dame on July 1 and will replace Fr. James King on the Board of Fellows. Collins graduated from Notre Dame in 1977 and is also a professor of sculpture in the Department of Art, Art History and Design.

“It is an exciting time in Notre Dame's history to serve in any role at this Holy Cross institution ... with its international scope, growing research agenda and its attention at achieving excellent undergraduate and graduate academic programs,” Collins said.

Richer, a 1980 graduate of Notre Dame, is the chief financial officer of Putnam Investments and is also a member of the College of Arts and Letters Advisory Council.

Spruell, a vice chairman of Deloitte, received his undergraduate degree from Notre Dame in 1987 and his MBA in 1989. While he was a student, he earned four monograms as an offensive lineman for the varsity football team.

Phillip B. Rooney has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 1993 and was elected to emeritus status. Rooney is the chairman of private investment firm Claddagh Investments and worked in the past with Notre Dame’s advisory council for the College of Engineering.