Reckers fire causes evacuation, no damage
Jack Rooney | Thursday, August 20, 2015
At about 10:30 a.m. Thursday, a small fire in the chimney of Reckers Cafe caused an approximately hour-long evacuation of South Dining Hall.
At the scene, University spokesperson Dennis Brown said there were no injuries and no damage to the dining hall building, though there may be some damage to the restaurant’s pizza oven.
“There was a fire in the chimney shaft above the Reckers restaurant,” Brown said. “There’s a pizza oven in there. The fire was contained. [There was] a lot of smoke, but no damage in the building itself.”
The Notre Dame Fire Department (NDFD) also called in the South Bend and Clay fire departments for support.
“They assisted with a large ladder that allowed us to get up above the shaft to find out what was going on,” Brown said
The cause of the fire could not be determined immediately, Brown said, but the incident is under investigation. Reckers remained closed after the fire for the day, while the rest of the dining hall reopened.
About 65 dining hall employees were held outside the building until shortly before 11:30 a.m., when NDFD allowed them to re-enter.