Irish offense shines in victory

No. 6 Notre Dame cruised to a win Saturday over Massachusetts with a 62-point explosion — the highest output since 1996 — as it set a number of offensive records for the Brian Kelly era.

Racking up rushing yards

The 1996 season was also the last time Notre Dame ran for more than 400 yards in a game as they did Saturday, finishing with 457 yards on the ground and five rushing touchdowns.

Many of those yards came from senior running back C.J. Prosise and freshman running back Josh Adams, who with 149 and 133 yards respectively became the first duo of Irish runners to each break the 100-yard mark in one game since Theo Riddick and Cierre Wood did it in 2012.

Prosise’s performance in particular was a milestone. It was his third consecutive game with more than 100 yards, a feat not accomplished by a Notre Dame running back since 2005 when Darius Walker did it. Over those three games, Prosise has run for 495 yards, the most for an Irish back in a three-game span since Julius Jones in 2003.

Touchdowns all around

Until Massachusetts freshman running back Marquis Young ran the ball into the end zone early on Saturday, Notre Dame had yet to allow points in the first quarter of any 2015 game. However, the Irish defense did force a three-and-out on the Minutemen's opening drive, just as they have done in every other game this season.

Helping the Irish strike back, freshman running back Dexter Williams, freshman quarterback Brandon Wimbush and sophomore quarterback DeShone Kizer all recorded their first career rushing touchdowns.

Irish freshman quarterback Brandon Wimbush rolls out to pass during his Notre Dame debut Saturday. Wimbush ran for a touchdown, the first in his Irish career, and had a deep pass to junior receiver Will Fuller, his first attempt, ruled incomplete after a video review. Wimbush also had a would-be touchdown pass called back due to an Irish penalty.
Emily Kruse | The Observer
Emily Kruse | The Observer

Junior wide receiver Will Fuller was a more familiar face in the end zone. His second-quarter touchdown grab was the 22nd of his career, tying him for fourth in the school record books for receiving scores.

Four of the Irish touchdowns went for 35 yards or more, the most the team has had in a single game to this point in 2015. Among the long plays was a 50-yard punt return by freshman wide receiver C.J. Sanders, the first punt return for a score since Golden Tate did it in 2009 and the first at Notre Dame Stadium since Tom Zbikowski took one back in 2006.