SMC hosts visiting artists in Moreau Art Galleries

Print - 20150902 SMC moreau gallery by Becki Jeren1 front pg
Students from Saint Mary’s observe artwork displayed in the Moreau Art Galleries during last Wednesday’s exhibit.

Wednesday evening, the Moreau Art Galleries at Saint Mary's highlighted a new exhibit titled “Impermanence,” featuring works by artists Gwenessa Lam and Dana Heeyun Jang.

Jang's series of work, “Presence of Light,” uses photography to capture the physical sense of light that is normally unseen, the artistic statement in the gallery brochure said.

Furthermore, the statement said, her work “captures sunlight coming through the historic Chicago Building which is situated on the zero point of Chicago. With long shutter speed and subtle choreographic gestures of the photographer, this series attempts to capture the subliminal essence of sunlight.”

Lam's works used oil paints to depict different angles of shadows.

According to the event brochure, Lam explores “the intersection between the perception, memory and representation of place. Drawing from notions of the uncanny, [Lam’s] paintings depict darkened interiors and shadows removed from their everyday context. … In [Lam's] artwork, furniture pieces and tableaux are distorted, rendering them amorphous or anthropomorphic.”

Ian Weaver, assistant professor of art, said he was fascinated by both artists’ unconventional approach toward form.

“I don’t typically see work that’s formless. And both of Lam's and Jang’s works complement each other, depicting a nontraditional sense of the physical world,” Weaver said.

Elise deSomer, a junior at Saint Mary’s majoring in art and English literature, said she appreciated the overall theme of the display.

“I think that the overall theme ‘Impermanence’ really captures the feeling when words can’t really describe something—almost like sand slipping through your fingers,” deSomer said. “I really appreciate the minimalism of the artists’ visions and how well it works with the atmosphere of [the Moreau Art Galleries].”

“The artists’ work is more modern, and it’s great to see a caliber like this. … It’s an opportunity to broaden the artwork here for the community,” she said.

Weaver said he is very enthusiastic about this year’s show and hopes it will involve the South Bend community.

“One of my goals is to expand in South Bend and to work with different school groups, libraries and churches — the civic community — in order to not just display our own works,” Weaver said.

Weaver said he is excited about the current exhibit and bringing the community to Saint Mary's to broaden the range of artwork.

“I’m hoping to get more people here from both campuses and in the South Bend area. One of my goals is to expand in South Bend and to work with different school groups, libraries, and churches,” he said.

Weaver invited teenagers from the area to display their artwork in a “pop up show”on Oct. 3 and 4, where the faculty will work with them to help produce their own work and then install their artwork in the gallery.

“I want to expand the gallery to others to give [area teenagers] a chance,” Weaver said.

The Moreau Art Galleries are open Monday through Friday, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. The “Impermanence” exhibit will run until Oct. 2.