Board of Trustees elects new chair

Effective July 1, John J. Brennan, chairman emeritus and former chief executive officer of the Vanguard Group, will serve as the chair of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees, according to a University press release Friday morning.

Brennan, who was elected Friday by the Board of Trustees, has served on the Board since 2009 and has also served as a Fellow of the University, a 12-member group charged with electing Trustees, amending bylaws and "maintaining Notre Dame’s Catholic character," according to the release.

University President Fr. John Jenkins praised Brennan's prowess in the business world as well as his generosity.

“As one of the nation’s most respected and trusted business leaders, Jack Brennan’s advice is sought by everyone from heads of state to financial regulators,” Jenkins said in the press release. “His guidance and generosity have helped Notre Dame immeasurably since he joined the board in 2009. Jack succeeds [Richard] Dick Notebaert, who as chair presided over a decade of tremendous advancement in Notre Dame’s facilities, benefaction, research capacity and international reach.”

Brennan, who attended Darmouth College as an undergraduate and Harvard Business School, has had three children graduate from Notre Dame. He said the University has played an important role in his life.

"From the first moment we stepped onto campus, we were taken with the mission of the University and the passion and quality of the people,” Brennan said in the press release. “Notre Dame is an integral part of our family, and we consider that a tremendous gift. I’m honored to be selected by my fellow Trustees to chair the board of one of the world’s great institutions of higher learning and to follow an outstanding leader like Dick in the role.

According to the press release, Brennan joined Vanguard in July 1982. He served as the investment firm's president beginning in 1989, CEO from 1996 through 2008 and as chairman of its board from 1998 to 2009, according to the press release. He has also served on the boards of a number of non-profit and for-profit organizations.