Coach Jackson, please reconsider

An open letter to Coach Jeff Jackson of the Notre Dame hockey team:

As a devoted fan and follower of Notre Dame hockey, I was somewhat confused to learn on Oct. 7, via the Leprechaun Legion, that student tickets for hockey will be free this season. I say confused, because student tickets for hockey have never cost me a cent in my three years attending Notre Dame. In the past, students could gain access to the Compton Family Ice Arena simply by flashing their student IDs to the ushers.

Now, however, that will not be the case. According to the ticketing website, students must register for their hockey tickets online. Tickets cannot be reserved for the entire season; rather, students must repeatedly register for games at intervals throughout the year. Although tickets acquired this way will (still) be free, students who miss the registration window or those who simply show up on game day will have to pay $7 to attend.

Coach Jackson, you said in your and Coach Brey’s letter to us students, “You have been the cornerstone to our success at Notre Dame and we want to make sure that you are there once again for all the action this season.” If this statement is true, then the new ticket policy seems dangerously contrary to your goal. As students, it is not always possible for us to know far in advance whether we will be free on a given Friday or Saturday night. That was one of the great strengths of the old policy — it allowed students to decide to attend hockey games the night of, without having to pay. The new policy is not flexible and will make it harder for students to attend hockey games, not easier.

Please consider reversing this policy change. You are the head coach, and we are your fans. It would be a shame if Notre Dame Hockey, which is a source of pride and enjoyment for many students, was harmed by one ill-conceived ticketing decision.

Michael Rangel senior