Notre Dame to host invitational

Notre Dame returns to action at the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational on Friday afternoon following a week off.

The event will be the second consecutive home meet for the Irish, who hosted the National Catholic Championship in mid-September.

At the National Catholic Championship, Notre Dame placed in first in both the men’s and women’s team races.

On the women’s side at the National Catholic Championship, the Irish were led by highly touted freshman Anna Rohrer, who placed first overall with a time of 17:20.7.

Freshmen Annie Heffernan and Rachel DaDamio, senior Karen Lesiewicz and sophomore Sydney Foreman also had top-10 finishes for the Irish, who finished 64 points ahead of second-place Xavier.

In the men’s victory at the National Catholic Championship, senior Timothy Ball led the way for the Irish, finishing in third place with a time of 25:09.2. Senior Michael Clevenger and sophomores Calvin Kraft and Kevin Pulliam also had top-10 finishes for Notre Dame.

At the Joe Piane Invitational, Notre Dame will host New Mexico, which brings the nation’s top-ranked women’s cross country team and a men’s team ranked 17th. Despite the high rankings, the event will be the first the Lobos have been a part of in 2015.

The invitational is one of four events Notre Dame is set to compete in this month. Outside of Friday’s event, the Irish will also compete in the Wisconsin Invitational, the Illini Open and the ACC championship in October.

The Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational is set to begin at 2 p.m. Friday at the Notre Dame Golf Course. The men will race at 2 p.m. and will be followed by the women, who are set to start at 2:45 p.m.