Playoff field becomes clear

Pasquerilla West 26, Walsh 0 – Dominic Iannelli

Under the lights at Riehle Fields on Tuesday night, Pasquerilla West defeated Walsh, 26-0.

The Purple Weasels (4-1) started the game strong, driving down the field and scoring on a touchdown pass to junior Monica Busse. Their defense held Walsh (1-4-1) to a three-and-out, and then the Pasquerilla West offense struck again, with Busse running 20 yards for the touchdown.

The Wild Women were then picked off on two straight possessions by Pasquerilla West junior Amanda Geiger and senior Maddie Bray, but the Purple Weasels were unable to capitalize.

In the second half, Pasquerilla West had two more interceptions, both returned for touchdowns, by Bray and senior Bernie Jordan.

As the game closed, Walsh switched quarterbacks several times but still could not score.

Walsh sophomore captain Maryanne Fisher said the team mixed things up for the final game of the season.

“Our offense played defense and our defense played offense, and it was really fun,” Fisher said.

Playing their final game of the season, junior Walsh co-captain Courtney Davis said the Wild Women were just trying to have fun.

“We just wanted to give everyone as many touches as they can. We tried to switch up the offense and freak out the defense,” Davis said.

Bray said she was proud of how the Purple Weasels played. After their first loss of the season Sunday, they were able to bounce back with a key win before the playoffs.

“We had our first loss on Sunday so it was nice to have this win after to get our momentum back,” Bray said. “I have a feeling like our team is really well put together and ready for playoffs now. On both sides of the ball everyone did really well and showed up and we were really accurate with our communication which we’ve been trying to work on.”

The Purple Weasels will finish up their regular season with a showdown against first-place Ryan on Oct. 27 at Riehle Fields before starting playoff action.

Lewis 19, Pasquerilla East 0 – Tobias Hoonhout 

It proved to be a one-sided affair Monday night, as Lewis blanked Pasquerilla East, 19-0.

With the win, the Chicks (3-1-1) clinched a spot in the playoffs, while the Pyros (2-4) ended their season on a low note.

Pasquerilla East looked to get the run game going early, but the Lewis defense shut down the Pyros offense setting the tone for the night.

The Pyros also started well defensively, until Lewis senior receiver and captain Hannah Skrbis latched onto a pass from fellow senior captain and quarterback Dorothy Schlueter and ran 65 yards for the score. Pasquerilla East attempted to answer with a drive of its own late in the first half, but with three seconds left, senior quarterback Caroline Kernodle’s pass fell incomplete in the end zone to end the half at 7-0.

In the second half, Lewis dominated. Led by another touchdown from Skrbis, the Chicks jumped out to a 13-0 lead. The defense also grabbed two straight interceptions, and on fourth-and-goal, the Chicks scored again to stretch their lead to 19-0, ending the game via mercy rule.

Skrbis said she felt her team played well and is looking to make a run in the playoffs.

“I feel great about our team and depth we have,” Skrbis said. “This is the most talent we've had on the team in the four years I've been playing.”

On the opposing sideline, the Pyros had a disappointing year and missed the playoffs, but junior captain Maddie McGovern said there were still positives to take from the season.

“I couldn't be more proud of their fortitude and spirit,” McGovern said. “We also had the pleasure of a coaching staff with unparalleled experience and football knowledge. Foremost, this season our team and coaches became a family, which I think will make PE the team to beat next year.”

Lewis concludes its regular season Oct. 26 against Farley at Riehle Fields.