SMC students visit areas of campus featured in book of ghost stories

Thirteen years after the publication of "Quiet Hours," a collection of ghost stories taking place in various locations across Saint Mary's campus, the Student Activities Board (SAB) held a tour Thursday for students to hear the book's different stories in the buildings where they were reported to have occurred.

SAB member Sinead Hickey said “Quiet Hours” was published in 2002 and written by Saint Mary's alumnae Shelly Houser, Veronica Kessenich and Kristen Matha. While they were students, they interviewed hundreds of staff, faculty and local residents to put together a collection of stories of different sightings and happenings that transpired on campus.

“All the stories are about occurrences which happened on our campus,” Hickey said. “This book is not only fun, but it also gives us a little insight into the history and identity of our school."

Hickey said the entertainment committee of SAB planned this tour as their main Halloween event.

“This is a fun opportunity for students on campus because it is an option for a non-drinking Halloween event. You can have fun without a drink,” Hickey said. “It is a fun way to learn about the ghosts on campus and campus history.

"Part of the Saint Mary’s identity is the ghosts present on campus.”

The tour started in the south lounge of Regina Hall, Hickey said. Participating students received a map, which showed three of the dorms on campus — Regina Hall, Le Mans Hall and Holy Cross Hall — where members of SAB were stationed.

Students then went to the three locations and SAB members read the corresponding stories in “Quiet Hours” that took place in each specific hall.

In Regina Hall, students heard stories about pianos that played without anyone touching them, doors found inexplicably opened when they were originally locked and mysteriously rippling water in the pool that used to be in the building’s courtyard.

Afterwards, students proceeded to Holy Cross Hall. This dorm was the first building of the College and was previously Saint Mary’s Academy. The book tells stories about a mysterious sighting of a young nun and a large dog in front of the building during a time when only a single, older nun wore a habit, and no nuns owned a dog.

The book also notes occurrences of noises being heard in the bathrooms — especially those on the third floor — that sounded like people brushing their teeth or showering when no one was actually there.

Sophomore Mackenzie Griffin, who participated in the tour, said she believes the stories.

“I definitely think the ghosts stories on campus are real,” Griffin said. “I haven’t experienced anything, but there is a lot going on in the bathrooms in Holy Cross. You’ll hear people walk in and do their nightly routines, but there’s nobody there.”

The last stop on the tour was Le Mans Hall, where students heard the stories of people from building services finding a child’s hand print on a window, security staff feeling a cold chill in the un-airconditioned Stapleton Lounge and a student seeing a man in Queen’s Court — reportedly one of the most haunted hallways in the building — run past her and through a wall during her nightly rounds as a Resident Assistant.