Hurricanes hand Irish second consecutive loss with goal in double overtime

Joaquin was not the only Hurricane to affect Notre Dame athletics this weekend: Hurricanes junior forward Gracie Lachowecki scored on No. 14 Notre Dame 105 minutes and 31 seconds into their Friday night matchup at Cobb Stadium to earn unranked Miami a 1-0 win.

The goal by Lachowecki — sister of Irish graduate student defender Max Lachowecki — ended the third contest of the last four for the Irish (8-3-1, 1-3-0 ACC) to extend into double overtime.

Senior forward Anna Maria Gilbertson fights for the ball during a 2-1 win over Santa Clara at Alumni Stadium on Aug. 28.

“It was our third corner kick in a row, and on the transition they just beat us to the ball,” Romagnolo said of the Hurricanes’ go-ahead goal.

Failures to finish on the attack spelled disaster for the Irish, Romagnolo said. Notre Dame outshot Miami (4-7-0, 1-3-0 ACC) 16 to six, including four in the first overtime period. Senior forward and team-leading scorer Anna Maria Gilbertson had more shots than the entire Hurricanes team with seven, three of which were on goal.

Corner kicks were also lopsided in Notre Dame’s favor, as the Irish earned eight to Miami’s one.

“We were a little bit off, but we had plenty of opportunities,” Romagnolo said. “We didn’t finish our chances. I think [Miami] worked hard and they got numbers behind the ball, but in the end we have to convert on those chances.”

Miami sophomore goalkeeper Catalina Perez had six saves on the night, while Irish junior goalie Kaela Little had two.

Romagnolo praised the Irish defense, especially senior captain and defender Katie Naughton, for keeping the Hurricanes out of the offensive zone for much of the night.

She also said sophomore midfielder Taylor Klawunder, who played all 106 minutes and recorded one shot on goal, stood out as a fill-in for injured senior midfielder Glory Williams.

“Taylor did a great job in the midfield, breaking plays defensively and pushing the point of attack for us,” Romagnolo said. “Taylor coming in and playing well as a sophomore while Glory is injured has been big for us.”

The matchup was the first ACC win for the Hurricanes and the second consecutive conference letdown for the Irish, who fell 1-0 at home to No. 2 Florida State last week following a 1-0 upset of then-No. 1 Virginia in double overtime.

Notre Dame’s other ACC loss was also in double overtime, a 1-0 result against Clemson on Sept. 19.

“We’re disappointed, but this is an opportunity to learn and get better,” Romagnolo said. “We need to get our Ws. …

“Our opponents have been very competitive, but this is a team that can get to the Final Four. We need to continue to put everything together.”

The Irish will get a chance to bounce back at home against Syracuse on Thursday. The Orange have yet to earn an ACC victory this season.