2015 alumna named Rhodes Scholar

Notre Dame class of 2015 alumna Emily Mediate has been named a Rhodes Scholar of the American Rhodes Scholar Class of 2016 — the seventeenth Notre Dame graduate to receive the award, according to a University press release.

Mediate will be one of 32 Scholars set to begin their studies at Oxford in October of next year, selected from a pool of 869 applicants, the release stated.

“We are tremendously proud of Emily Mediate for this well-deserved honor,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release. “Congratulations also to the faculty who taught Emily and to the Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement (CUSE) who put in countless hours assisting Emily and other candidates for the Rhodes and other scholars’ programs.”

According to the press release, Mediate, a native of Colorado Springs, Colorado, majored in Africana studies and pre-health during her time at Notre Dame. She was a Dean’s Fellow in the College of Arts and Letters as well as a Kellogg Institute International Scholar. Currently, Mediate is a Kellogg Institute postgraduate International Development Fellow.

The release stated Mediate intends to pursue a master’s degree in evidence-based social intervention and policy evaluation (EBSIPE) while at Oxford.

“I am thrilled to be named as a 2016 Rhodes Scholar,” Mediate said in the release. “I am especially grateful to my peers and faculty advisers who supported my personal and academic growth along the way.

“While studying in the U.K., I can only hope to adequately live up to Notre Dame’s mission of applying scholarly activity to the pursuit of the common good and with concern for the poverty and injustice that plagues our world today. This underlying motivation is the greatest lesson that I will take with me from Notre Dame and apply during my time at Oxford.”

Besides Mediate, class of 2015 alumna Nicole Sganga and current senior Kelly McGee were also finalists for the 2016 Rhodes Scholarship. Class of 2014 alumnus Alex Coccia was named a Rhodes Scholar last November.