Saint Mary's hosts annual Food Week

Saint Mary’s annual Food Week kicked off Monday and brings diverse and fun food options to campus, while also promoting food education with a wide variety of events, Food Services Committee chair and sophomore Bailey Oppman said in an email.

“[Food week] ranges from learning how to nourish your body with food, to special themed meals in the dining hall, to learning about food sustainability, to dining from local food trucks,” she said.

The week's events started with “Meatless Monday,” a vegetarian lunch served in the Noble Family Dining Hall.

Food Services General Manager Barry Bowles led a question-and-answer took place in the dining hall during dinner, during which students asked questions and voiced their opinions about dining hall food.

Monday night ended with with a screening of the movie “Julie & Julia” in Vander Vennet Theatre.

Tuesday’s first event, “Tortilla Tuesday,” took place in the dining hall during lunch. In the evening, students were able to try healthy treats and make their own recipe books.

On “Waffle Wednesday," the dining hall will serve waffles during lunch, and Wednesday evening's dinner will be Saint Mary's annual Thanksgiving dinner.

“Three Cheese Lunch” will take place Thursday in the dining hall, and Sara Stewart, a nurse from Unity Gardens, will discuss food sustainability and food justice in Vander Vennet Theatre from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Oppman said she is looking forward to hearing from Stewart and feels students will enjoy the discussion.

“She's a really energetic and passionate person, so I think the discussion will be really dynamic,” she said. 

On Friday morning, coffee and doughnuts will be served to students in Spes Unica Hall and Madeleva Hall from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Food Week will draw to a close Friday evening, with local food trucks parked in the McCandless parking lot from 5 to 7 p.m. Students can purchase food truck tickets at lunch throughout the week.

Oppman said she is most excited for the food trucks.

“[They] will be a new way for students to get some delicious food,” she said. 

Food Week aims to provide students with fun ways to learn about improving healthy eating habits, Oppman said. 

“We try to incorporate the fun things about food, like food trucks and free donuts, along with educational and important food topics, like sustainability and knowing how to make healthier choices,” she said.