Small victory for Notre Dame Right to Life

Notre Dame Right to Life was thrilled to hear the recent news about the suspension of Dr. Klopfer’s abortion license by the Indiana State Department of Health. This news means more women in the area will be choosing life for their children!

Our club has been very active with the pro-life community of South Bend and will continue to be. We’ve worked with St. Joseph County’s Right to Life office training students to be sidewalk counselors. ND RTL sends students to the Women’s Care Center to volunteer. We also throw baby showers for the mothers at the WCC with our commission called Project Mom. We also help with the Life Center and Holy Family Adoption Agency, two other pro-life advocates in the community that provide resources and options for mothers in crisis pregnancies.

Although this is great news and no more abortions will occur in South Bend, we will not cease to keep up our involvement of spreading the pro-life movement in the community. The Women's Pavilion cannot apply for another abortion clinic license for 90 days. During this time they will be open to provide information for women seeking abortion. Thus we will continue to be present outside the clinic, sidewalk counseling and praying. We will pray for the past children lost in the clinic, for mothers in crisis currently looking for referrals and for the clinic to remain inoperable.

Overall, the pro-life movement is very concerned about bettering women’s health and protecting both mother and child. With Klopfer’s medical license in question and multiple complaints of malpractice filled against him, it was clear that women were not in good hands medically at the clinic. The facility was charged with violating Indiana Code 16-21 and multiple health and safety rules. An investigation revealed multiple violations, including Klopfer’s failure to comply by Indiana’s 18-hour notification law that requires a woman to give her voluntary and informed consent and view the fetal ultrasound and hear the fetal heartbeat at least 18 hours before an abortion. There have also been accusations of improperly administered anesthesia, expired medicine and poorly trained staff.

Anyone can see that this was not a safe place for women to be going in times of need. They were not being properly educated about their health and options. They weren’t even allowed to receive an ultrasound, which they can get for free at the Women’s Care Center. The pro-life movement, our club and I dream of the day that all women can be properly educated on their fertility, reproduction cycle, pregnancy and their options when facing a crisis pregnancy. We will keep fighting for this and fighting for life.

Janelle Wanzek president Notre Dame Right to Life