Judicial Council announces tickets for student body presidential elections

The Judicial Council announced three tickets for the upcoming student government elections for the offices of president and vice president for the 2016-2017 term, set to take place Feb. 10.

News student gov UPDATED
Susan Zhu
Susan Zhu

Three tickets gathered the necessary 700 unique signatures to make the ballot: juniors Dominic Alberigi and Jennifer Cha; juniors Louis Bertolotti and Elizabeth Fenton; and junior Corey Robinson and sophomore Rebecca Blais.

A debate between the three candidates is set for Feb. 8. If no ticket receives a majority of the vote, a run-off will take place between the top two vote-getters. Should a run-off election occur, a second debate between the remaining candidates is set for Feb. 14, with a final election to take place Feb. 15, according to the Judicial Council’s website.

The winning ticket will take office April 1, succeeding current student body president Bryan Ricketts and vice president Nidia Ruelas.

The Bertolotti-Fenton campaign emphasizes transparency, deliverability and unity, according to official platform materials.

Bertolotti and Fenton include creating an accessible professor review system, improving Wi-Fi service and celebrating a “hey day” the first Monday after syllabus week, in which students would wear name tags and be encouraged to say “hey,” in order to get to know other students, as just a few of their goals.

The Robinson-Blais campaign emphasizes leadership, connection and service, according to official platform materials.

Robinson and Blais include overseeing Notre Dame’s divestment from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources, designating space in Campus Crossroads as a “ThinkSpace” area in which students brainstorm innovative ideas and rerouting South Bend public transportation lines to better cater to the needs of students, while not inconveniencing Notre Dame staff or the residents of South Bend, as some of their goals.

The Alberigi-Cha campaign is placing a “decisive focus” on mental illness, Alberigi said in an email to The Observer on Tuesday evening.

“To address this, we are committed to expanding counseling services to better include students with specific needs. Other aspects of our campaign include promoting objective education on important social issues, through forums or debates with prominent public figures, and offering extra courses that align with student hobbies, from culinary courses to greenhouse botany,” he said.

Editor’s note: Louis Bertolotti served as a Viewpoint columnist for The Observer last fall.