Notre Dame wins first ACC match, falls in Ann Arbor

Over the weekend, the Irish bested Pittsburgh, 4-3, to extend their winning streak to three games. However, Notre Dame then had its winning streak snapped Sunday by Michigan as the Irish fell to the Wolverines, 5-2.

The Irish (4-3, 1-0 ACC) were led by senior Quinn Gleason and junior Mary Closs on Friday against the Panthers (3-1, 0-1). Gleason defeated Pittsburgh junior Lolade Ogungbesan 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 1 court, but Gleason and her doubles partner, junior Monica Robinson, lost a close 6-4 match to the Panther team of Ogungbesan and redshirt junior Amber Washington in the top doubles flight.

Irish junior Monica Robinson serves during Notre Dame’s 7-0 win over Western Michigan on Jan. 19 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Going into the final two games of the day, the Irish led 3-2, but they soon found themselves tied 3-3 as senior Julie Vrabel fought her way back to a tie-breaking third set against Washington but came up short by a score of 6-4, 2-6, 6-1. Closs proved to be the hero for the Irish on Court No. 4, as she outmatched Pittsburgh sophomore Callie Frey in three sets 2-6, 7-6, 6-0. Closs’ win gave Notre Dame the 4-3 victory. Sophomore Allison Miller also earned the Irish a point with her 6-0, 6-1 victory over Pittsburgh freshman Carina Ma.

Notre Dame’s momentum came to an abrupt stop Sunday as the Irish lost to the Wolverines (5-2) in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The match started poorly for the Irish, with the No. 15-ranked doubles pairing of Gleason and Robinson losing to Michigan's duo of freshman Brienne Minor and sophomore Mira Ruder-Hook at No. 1 doubles, 6-4. Gleason also lost to No. 17-ranked Michigan senior Ronit Yurovsky in singles play in the top match. Ruder-Hook defeated Closs, 6-2, 7-6, Michigan freshman Teona Velehorschi felled Vrabel, 6-2, 6-3, and another Michigan freshman, Kate Fahey bested Miller, 6-2, 6-1.

The lone wins for the Irish came from Robinson, who upset No. 14 Minor at No. 2 singles, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4, and junior Jane Fennelly, who won out against Michigan sophomore Alex Najarian on the fifth court, 6-3, 5-7, 10-3.

Notre Dame next faces Purdue on Wednesday in West Lafayette, Indiana, at 3 p.m.