Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Weekend preview

WeekendPreview_Scene_WebBannerThingy
Lucy Du
Lucy Du

Thursday

What: BØRNS Concert

Where: Legends

How Much: Free

Los Angeles-based musician Garret Borns (BØRNS) will be performing at Legends as part of this weekend's Music Tostal. His ethereal blend of psychedelic and electro-glam pop pushed his 2015 debut album “Dopamine” to the top of the charts. Scene writer Adam Ramos reviewed the album back in October, noting: “Similar to Del Rey, Borns has the rare ability to readily transition back and forth from these slow, soulful moments to catchy pop sing-a-long choruses. Soul doesn’t mean boring, and subtlety doesn’t mean simple on ‘Dopamine.’ … While pop may be at the core of the album, soul, funk, brooding rock and glam permeate throughout, proving an entertaining exploration.”

With singles “Electric Love” and “10,000 Emerald Pools” garnering over 75,000,000 streams on Spotify, Borns has widespread campus appeal. The show is sponsored by WVFI radio station and is set to begin at 10 p.m.

What: Snite@Nite

Where: The Snite Museum

How Much: Free

Missing March Madness now that Notre Dame is out? Head over to the Snite this Thursday between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. for a bracket-based art contest, March Masterpieces. Complete a bracket, select your favorite art work and attend the Final Four face-off at the event. The most voted for artwork will be deemed student favorite.

ND professors will be present to discuss their favorite works, student performances will take place throughout the evening and there will be a craft station for making Snite-inspired posters and buttons. Stadium snacks will be served and there will be a raffle for Chipotle and Bookstore gift cards.

Friday

What: Battle of the Bands

Where: Legends

How Much: Free

Legends will be hosting a student band showcase with a $1,000 prize up for grabs. Attendees will be able to vote for their favorite band from the eclectic range of acts. The bands participating include Where’s John (pop-rock), Be Goode (rock), Ghost Dance (indie), Monochrome Rainbow (acoustic rock), Bon Tempo (pop-rock), Real Life Irony (singer/songwriter), No Cash Value (rock/blues/country) and the Blue Peacoats (alternative rock). The showcase is set to kick off at 10 p.m.

What: PEMCo Revue

Where: LaFortune Ballroom

How Much: $5

The Pasquerilla East Music Company will be putting on their annual Revue, featuring music from “Les Miserables,” “The Last Five Years,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Chicago,” “Shrek,” and “Newsies.” Climbing Uphill: A PEMCo Revue was directed by Denise Dorotheo and will be presented Thursday and Friday at 7 p.m., as well as Saturday at 4:30 p.m. All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to St. Margaret’s house, a women’s shelter that serves the South Bend area.

Saturday:

What: The Griswolds concert

Where: Legends

How Much: Free

Having seen The Griswolds open for Walk The Moon last April, I can attest to their infectious energy and stage presence. Their 2014 debut album “Be Impressive” lived up to its title — the single “Beware The Dog” received airtime and notice. The Australian band cites vampire Weekend, MGMT, Kanye West, Devendra Banhart, Of Montreal and The Beach Boys as influences. Their set begins at 10 p.m. with EDM night to follow at midnight.

What: “Chi-Raq”

Where: DPAC

How Much: $7; $4 for students

Spike Lee’s 2015 film (featuring Nick Cannon, Dave Chappelle, Samuel L. Jackson and Angela Bassett) is a modern adaptation of the ancient Greek play “Lysistrata” by Aristophanes. Showing as part of the Africana Film Series, “Chi-Raq” tells the story of a group of women led by Lysistrata that organize against ongoing violence in Chicago’s South Side. A reaction to a child murdered by a stray bullet, the group creates a movement that challenges the nature of race, sex and violence in America and around the world. "Chi-Raq" sparked controversy on Twitter when Chance The Rapper tweeted out that he would not be supporting the film as it was "exploitive and problematic." Spike Lee responded with a statement pointing out that Chance's dad is chief of staff for Mayor Rahm Emanuel. The film will play at 6:30 p.m. in Browning Cinema.