C.J. Prosise drafted No. 90 overall by Seattle Seahawks in 2016 NFL Draft

Former Irish running back C.J. Prosise was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks with the 90th-overall pick — the 27th pick of the third round — in the 2016 NFL Draft on Friday night.

Prosise, who led the Irish with 1,032 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns this past season, was the sixth former Notre Dame player taken off the board in the draft. He was also the first Irish running back to be drafted since Theo Riddick was drafted in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions.

Former Irish running back C.J. Prosise breaks a tackle during Notre Dame's 34-27 win over Virginia on Sept. 12 in Charlottesville, Virginia. Prosise was the first Notre Dame running back drafted since Theo Riddick was picked in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft on Friday.

Prosise spent some time as a receiver for the Irish prior to last season, when he took over as the starting running back following Tarean Folston's ACL injury. He started nine games and led the team in carries before spraining his ankle in Notre Dame's win over Boston College on November 21.

With Marshawn Lynch having retired this offseason, Prosise could see reps as both a change-of-pace back behind Thomas Rawls and an option in the passing game for the Seahawks.