Saint Mary's student body president, vice president reflect on year

When seniors Kaitlyn Baker and Maddie Kohler took office as student body president and vice president in August, their goal was to improve numerous aspects of campus life, including security and communications between the student body and the administration.

“Our goals were to improve safety for the students on and off campus, provide more opportunities for the student body, student government and administration, and enhance already existing campus events and improve student participation at these events,” Kohler said.

Baker said the two worked hard to be present on campus and address the needs of the student body.

“We hosted a community dialogue event in collaboration with [Student Diversity Board], we met with [College president Carol Ann Mooney] to discuss student concerns and we reached out to many students who openly expressed concerns on social media,” she said.

During their one year term, Kohler and Baker were tasked with many duties and roles on campus. Baker said she was surprised by her role as a liaison between the student body and the administration.

“I didn’t expect to be so involved with administration and sit on many committees where I had the ability to vote,” she said. “I really enjoyed having the opportunity to provide the student perspective at those meetings.”

Kohler said she did not anticipate the recognition that comes along with being a leader on campus.

“I was so surprised to have everyone from administration, students, alumnae and even the Board of Trustees say hello and genuinely ask how everything is going within the student government association [SGA],” she said.

Kohler said that while they were able to improve communication on campus, the two are most proud of their executive board and committee chairs’ accomplishments.

We had an amazing group this year and would not have been so successful without their hard work and dedication,” Kohler said. “We hope the events they hosted, speakers they brought in and enthusiasm they had enhanced the Saint Mary’s experience for the student body.”

Kohler said flexibility is an important trait to have as SGA vice president.

“You go into office and have all these goals you want to accomplish,” she said. “As time progresses, other issues arise that you need to deal with first and some of your goals are put on the back burner and that is OK. Some things are more important than others.”

Baker said she advises the incoming president to enjoy every moment of her time as a leader on campus.

“It goes by really fast and it is very easy to get caught up in the hard work and stress of it all,” she said. “Make sure you take the time to enjoy the experience.”

Baker said her time as president gave her the chance to become involved in different areas of the College.

“I will miss getting to be so invested in the Saint Mary’s community,” she said. “The College has become a large part of who I am, and I really enjoyed getting to leave my legacy at Saint Mary’s.”

Baker, who majored in Communicative Sciences and Disorders, will be attending the University of Northern Colorado to receive a master’s degree in speech language pathology, and Kohler, who majored in business administration and economics, will move to Chicago to work for PepsiCo.