Belles recent struggles continue despite hard work

It was a rough season for Saint Mary’s, as the Belles came away from the 2015-2016 campaign with only a single victory.

Saint Mary's (1-24, 1-15 MIAA) started the season with a game against North Park on November 17 resulting in a 64-49 loss. The Belles then went into the Wheaton tournament, where they were not able to win either game.

With three losses already, the Belles had a string of five more defeats, including one against Anderson by just two points. The Belles first victory of the season came against Alma on December 9 by a final score of 68-56. This brought Saint Mary’s MIAA record to 1-2 as senior forward Krista Knapke lead the Belles with 14 points and seven steals. Senior forward Eleni Shea and freshman guard Erin Maloney also factored into the Saint Mary’s victory. Shea contributed 13 points and nine rebounds, while Maloney tallied a season-high 13 points, including a perfect 7-of-7 from the free-throw line.

Looking back on the season, Belles head coach Jennifer Henley said she felt that although it was a trying season, she saw results from the hard work that the Belles put into practicing and improving.

“It was a disappointing seasons as far as wins and losses go,” Henley said. “This team worked incredibly hard and got better as the season went along.”

Throughout the year the Belles were lead by their four seniors: Shea, Knapke, and guards Maddie Kohler and Sarah Macius. Henley said the graduating seniors will leave big shoes to fill.

“We graduate four great seniors who will be missed,” Henley said.

Shea lead the Belles with 12.4 points per game and Knapke was not far behind at 11.7. Shea and Knapke also lead the Belles in rebounds with 157 and 196 respectively.

After their victory over Alma, the Belles went winless the rest of the season and ended their campaign with a 1-24 mark. The Belles did keep five games to within 10 points, including a 72-70 loss to Anderson on November 24 and a 52-49 defeat to Olivet on January 23.