Complainant in lawsuit alleges University employee previously harassed other student

A St. Joseph County judge heard arguments Friday regarding the admission of evidence in a lawsuit filed last fall by a Notre Dame student against the University, in which the student alleged sexual harassment and racial discrimination by a University employee, according to an article from the South Bend Tribune. At the hearing, attorneys for the student claimed the University employee named in the suit had previously harassed a different student, but that the University had failed to discipline her on account of her financial ties to the University.

The student’s lawyers petitioned the court to order the University to turn over documents concerning payments to Notre Dame by people and businesses connected to the former employee and her family, according to the Tribune’s article.

The article stated the judge hearing arguments, St. Joseph Circuit Court special judge Michael Scopelitis, said he needed additional time to decide whether to admit evidence regarding the employee’s financial ties to the University.

The lawsuit, filed Oct. 30, 2015, alleges the University employee coerced the student into a sexual relationship with her daughter, according to court documents.