Saint Mary's first years ‘a very strong class’

Shortly after Saint Mary's welcomed first-year College president Jan Cervelli, the College welcomed 435 first-year Belles into their community Thursday as the class of 2020.

“Sharing their first year with President Cervelli — I see this class as the leaders of a new chapter in the history of the College,” Mona Bowe, the vice president for enrollment management, said.

“They will fuel the president's passion for women's education, they will share their experiences with her and they will give her the unique perspective that only Belles can give,” she said. “This class, in a very unique way, will be her partners as she learns — like them — to be a Belle.”

St Mary's admissions YEAHH
SUSAN ZHU | The Observer

A total of 1,771 students applied for a spot in the class of 2020. Of the 1,450 students admitted, 56 were admitted Early Decision, Bowe said. 

According to Bowe, the class of 2020 is 4 percent larger — 16 more Belles — than last year’s class of 2019.

“Based on the essays and letters of recommendation the Admission Committee read through this cycle, we know this will be a very strong class,” Bowe said.

According to the admissions office, 287 students were varsity athletes, 63 were varsity captains and 103 students were in the National Honor Society. While the majority of students participated in community service, some traveled on mission trips to destinations such as Peru, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Haiti, as well as areas of the United States such as New Orleans, Miami, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan and the Appalachian region.

Along with their diverse interests, incoming students are ethnically diverse, representing Hispanic, Asian, Black, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Native American, White and multiracial groups. There are also 9 international students joining the first year class from countries such as China, Thailand and Vietnam.

“There are a number of very accomplished leaders, athletes and students who have volunteered hundreds of hours to their community and their church [in the class of 2020],” Bowe said. “In addition to all of these accomplishments, they have very solid academic profiles.”