Stop giving athletes a pass

I am a 1984 graduate of Notre Dame. The many things Notre Dame taught me include responsibility for my actions and the effect of my actions on the University, community and others.

Last weekend's events by the Notre Dame football players were disgraceful. Assaulting a police officer and carrying unregistered firearms does not even come close to meeting the standards of what Notre Dame expects of its students, let alone its athletes. There should be no discrimination based on being a senior, junior, sophomore or freshmen. They are responsible for their actions.

These individuals were honored with not only attending Notre Dame but were also provided scholarships to do so.

I know I don't have all the specifics on the incidents, but if what is said is true, they should all be dismissed from the University. Notre Dame should set an example of what is and is not acceptable of college athletes. We too often give athletes a “pass” because they generate money for their university and team. This has to stop.

Brian Kelly, please set the example. Notre Dame's Conduct board, please set the example. And Notre Dame students, stand up for what is right and not what is good for sports.

David A. Pasquel

class of 1984

Aug. 23