Legends Nightclub Preview: Matoma

matoma
JOSEPH HAN | The Observer

As the trees begin to shift colors and hoodies become more and more prevalent on campus, it seems we have no choice but say goodbye to summer — at least we get pumpkin spice lattes. Thankfully, Legends Nightclub, home of the iconic “hip-hop night,” aims to provide one final ode to the sunshine season. This Saturday, Norway's Tropical House whiz kid Matoma will be showcasing his meticulously crafted beats and summer vibes for all of Notre Dame to bask in.

Tom Stræte Lagergren, better known by his stage name Matoma, began playing classical music on the piano at a young age but quickly evolved to electric dance music as a teenager. After a short spell in the Norwegian army left him in a hospital bed, Lagergren decided to pursue a DJ career full time, quickly building a large fan base off of his impressive SoundCloud page. Lagergren's ability to rework popular hits into bouncy euphoric odes to the summer earned the praise of many, elevating his music to an international audience.

It wouldn't be until the 2013 release of “Old Thing Back,” a tropical house remix sampling The Notorious B.I.G's "Want That Old Thing Back" featuring Ja Rule and Ralph Tresvant, for Lagergren to take his dance music to the highest level. “Old Thing Back” effortlessly weaves Biggie's signature smooth flow into a web of beach-inspired beats. The song currently sits as Biggie’s most popular song on Spotify, a testament to both the song's effectiveness and the rise of the tropical house genre.

Lagergren has continued to grow since the popularity of "Old Thing Back," recently dropping an impressive debut LP affectionately titled "Hakuna Matoma" via Big Beat Records. The LP includes a tremendous list of collaborators including Wale, Jennifer Lopez and Jason Derulo. Although a lot has changed since the days of uploading tunes from his bedroom in Norway, what hasn't changed is Lagergren's ability to reimagine pop music into fun summer EDM jams.

Be sure to catch Lagergren's set this Saturday at 10 p.m., and get there early — the first 200 attendees will receive a sound activated LED bracelet. Even though the summer may be coming to an abrupt end, that doesn't mean you have to accept it.