Students, be better

Dear angry mob,

As an alumni who does most football game watching via television or the internet, it is always great to see and hear the student section and observe the spirit and tradition of school pride that makes the Notre Dame student section a special place across all of college football. Listening from afar and hearing the chants to “fire VanGorder” did nothing to make the student section seem very special. Students, consider the father, friend, mentor, husband and human being on the receiving end of your “spirit.” Consider the negative and demoralizing impact on the entire defensive unit who undoubtedly feel overwhelmed and dejected by the situation, before your loud cheers come from on high.

Blame and vitriol rarely solve problems. Look at our political climate climate, racial tensions and antagonism with police officers. As members of Our Lady’s university family, you represent who we are today. Be better. Be loving. Be merciful.

Even now with the intent of the chanting a reality, it does not seem that this is how we should send off those who have devoted a great measure of dedication and sacrifice for our boys in Gold and Blue. The community that supports you and supports our football team is proud of who you are and who you are becoming. It is a great gift and blessing to be a member of the Irish family. We are called to fight for great things with virtue, thoughtfulness and love. When we have the next opportunity to support our coaches and athletes, let's do it with the best we have to offer.

Dan Cook

class of 1996

Sept. 25