University to turn over financial documents in sexual harassment case

The University will be required to turn over evidence showing financial support received by Notre Dame from the family and businesses tied to a former academic coach who allegedly harassed a Notre Dame student, according to an article from the South Bend Tribune.

The lawsuit, filed Oct. 30, 2015, alleges the University employee coerced the student into a sexual relationship with her daughter, according to court documents.

An order was filed in the St. Joseph Circuit Court last week, and Special Judge Michael Scopelitis ruled today that Notre Dame must turn over certain records that show the financial ties between the former tutor's family and the University, the Tribune reported Tuesday.

Earlier this month, the lawsuit claimed the University employee had previously harassed a different student, but that the University had failed to discipline her on account of her financial ties to the University.

The suit also alleges University administrators knew about the misconduct and, citing Title VI and Title IX, had a responsibility to intervene for the student’s well being, which was compromised by a racially and sexually hostile environment.

The student’s attorney argued that information about the former employee’s financial relationship with the University could serve as evidence as to whether or not Notre Dame was aware of the misconduct and failed to take proper action.

According to the court documents, the suit alleges the University employee — “Jane Roe” — coerced the plaintiff — “John Doe,” an African-American student at the University — into a sexual relationship with her daughter, who attends a “nearby school” but is also an employee of the University. Notre Dame said it placed the woman on leave after the complaint was filed in August 2015 and fired her in October, after an investigation.