Notre Dame keeps ACC record spotless

Notre Dame’s perfect ACC record remains intact after a successful East-Coast road trip this weekend, as the Irish took down Syracuse in straight sets on Friday, before sweeping Boston College on Sunday.

Freshman outside hitter Jemma Yeadon stole the show once again, picking up a double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs in the match against the Orange (4-12, 3-3 ACC). The Irish (15-3, 6-0 ACC) dominated the first set, coming out hot versus Syracuse. The team went on a 5-0 run early to gain a four-point lead and never looked back. The Irish took the first set 25-16 on a kill from Yeadon.

Irish freshman outside hitter Jemma Yeadon gets ready to spike the ball during Notre Dame’s 3-1 victory   over Duke on Sept. 30 at Purcell Pavilion. Yeadon tallied 18 kills, 29 digs and 7 blocks in the match.
Irish freshman outside hitter Jemma Yeadon gets ready to spike the ball during Notre Dame’s 3-1 victory over Duke on Sept. 30 at Purcell Pavilion. Yeadon tallied 18 kills, 29 digs and 7 blocks in the match.

The Orange stuck with the Irish throughout the second set, creating a nerve-wracking environment. The two teams matched each other point-for-point throughout the set. The Orange and the Irish were tied 12 times during the set and the lead changed five times. The Orange had the chance to serve the set, but were prevented from taking the set on a kill from senior middle blocker Katie Higgins, who was assisted by junior setter Caroline Holt. This was one of Holt’s 41 assists in the match. Notre Dame was then able to turn the tide of the set, winning 26-24. The Irish dominated the final set of the match, 25-10. Errors courtesy of the Orange, as well as powerful and well-placed kills from Yeadon and junior outside hitter Sydney Kuhn allowed the Irish to take various sizable leads throughout the game, the largest of which was the 15-point margin between the two teams at the end of the match.

Notre Dame’s sweep of the Orange also marked a milestone for Notre Dame head coach Jim McLaughlin: his 600th career coaching win. McLaughlin is also the lone collegiate coach to have won national championships on both the men’s and women’s side of the sport. After sweeping Syracuse, the Irish headed for Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, where they faced off against another ACC rival in Boston College (5-11, 0-6 ACC).

Yeadon continued to turn heads as she picked up her sixth double-double of the season and fourth in as many matches. Sophomore outside hitter Rebecca Nunge also tallied up 10 kills, while Kuhn ended the match with nine kills.

The Irish handled the Eagles easily, putting them away in three sets: 25-18, 25-21, 25-12.

One of the highlights of the match for Notre Dame was the face-off between sophomore Irish sophomore libero Ryann DeJarld and her younger sister, Eagles freshman setter Jane DeJarld. While the DeJarld has been looking forward to the match-up since Jane committed to Boston College, Ryann’s primary focus was on helping her team to the best of her ability. Notre Dame’s stain-free ACC record cruised through the road trip, as the Irish remain undefeated in conference play.

This Friday, the Irish will take on No. 9 North Carolina on Friday, which will be Notre Dame’s first match-up against a ranked team since falling to Purdue 3-1 on Sept. 3.

The Irish will take the court against the Tar Heels at 7 p.m. on Friday.