SMC volleyball reaches .500; soccer stays winless in MIAA

Volleyball

Saint Mary’s moved to .500 on the season after a five-game run that saw three wins and two defeats to top-10 opposition, all in straight sets.

On Oct. 12, the Belles (13-13, 9-5 MIAA) faced No. 1 Calvin. The Belles put up a competitive first set, but were eventually defeated 3-0 (25-21, 25-15, 25-10).

The following Tuesday, the Belles defeated Kalamazoo. After winning both of the first two sets by a score of 25-16, the Belles dominated the third, which they won 25-9. Senior outside hitter Meaghan Gibbons had 11 kills and 11 digs for the Belles.

Gibbons had 19 kills and 12 digs for the Belles while senior outside hitter Alexis Grady had 31 assists on Oct. 21, as the Belles defeated Alma in straight sets. Each set was competitive, with the Belles saving a set point in the third, but running out 3-0 (25-20, 25-19, 26-24) winners.

The Belles had set points in the first and third sets against No. 9 Hope at 25-24, but could not win either set and were swept by a score of 3-0 (28-26, 25-13, 27-25).

Finally, on Tuesday, the Belles defeated Olivet 3-0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-20). Grady had 30 assists and 10 digs, while Gibbons and Rachel Bonek led the team in kills with 9 each.

The Belles will host Albion on Friday at 7 p.m.

Soccer

Saint Mary’s continued to look for its first MIAA win this season, losing three home games to Kalamazoo, Trine and Calvin over the last two weeks.

On Oct. 12, the Belles (1-14, 0-13 MIAA) faced conference-leading Kalamazoo, and were defeated 8-0. After holding the Hornets (12-3-2, 11-1-2 MIAA) to only one goal in the opening 40 minutes, a flurry of goals each side of halftime put Saint Mary’s 6-0 down by the hour mark. The Hornets added two more goals to win the game by eight goals. Freshman midfielder Bella Wiseman had the only shot of the game for the Belles after getting on the end of a low cross from freshman forward Jennifer Buck in the 77th minute. However, Wiseman’s shot was saved.

On Oct. 15, the Belles hosted Trine for Senior Day. However, again the Belles were held scoreless and defeated, as the Thunder (4-11-2, 4-11-0 MIAA) took a 3-0 lead before the half and eventually won the game 4-0. The Belles had seven shots, including early chances for freshman midfielder Kellen Hinchey and senior defender Emily Rompola.

Saint Mary’s suffered another defeat on Saturday, when Calvin (10-7-1, 9-4-1 MIAA) defeated the Belles 3-0. The Knights scored three goals in quick succession, between the 20th and 30th minutes, and limited the Belles chances for the rest of the game. Wiseman and Buck each had a shot for the Belles, but Wiseman’s went wide while Buck’s was blocked.

The Belles were defeated last night by Hope (12-3-1, 12-2-2 MIAA) by a score of 8-0. The Flying Dutch scored three goals just before halftime to take a 4-0 lead into the break and added three more early in the second before another in the final five minutes. Wiseman had a shot saved early in the second half.

The Belles will play at Adrian on Saturday at noon.