Confidence propels Andrew Oglevie to next level

In a season in which the offensive output hasn’t quite been where No. 12 Notre Dame would like it to be, sophomore forward Andrew Oglevie has held up his end in what has been a year of rapid development for the young talent.

A Fullerton, California, native, Oglevie has made seen a quick ascension to being one of Notre Dame’s best offensive weapons as he continues to put together an impressive resume early on in his collegiate career.

As a freshman, Oglevie played in 31 games during which he scored five goals — including two game winners — and added four assists for a total of nine points. In just 14 games this season, he has already blown past last year’s total for six goals along with nine assists. His mark of 14 points good enough for second on the team so far, trailing only fellow forward and junior Anders Bjork. Oglevie himself credited a lot of this improvement and success to his offseason work as well as the support of his coaches and teammates.

Irish sophomore forward Andrew Oglevie surveys the ice during Notre Dame’s 4-2 loss to UConn on Oct. 27 at Compton Family Ice Arena. Oglevie is second on the team in points scored this season with 15.
Mackenzi Marinovich | The Observer

“I got a lot stronger over the offseason,” Oglevie said. “Other than that, it’s just been working on the little things, and I have to give a lot of credit to my linemates and coaches trusting me, putting me in more positions to make plays with being on the power play and penalty kill. It’s this along with my linemates helping me out and hard work over the offseason.”

Oglevie especially credits the talk he had with head coach Jeff Jackson over the offseason, which helped him to understand why building up strength was so important in his development.

“He talked to me before the season and told me he wanted me to play on the inside more because I was more of a perimeter player last year,” Oglevie said. “I don’t think that was me necessarily wanting to be a perimeter player. I think it was just harder for me to get on this inside and play in those gritty areas of the ice.

“Now, it’s easier for me to get to the front of the net and win puck battles and stuff like that with the added strength. It makes me want to go to the net more, knowing I can do it, so I think it was big, just building that confidence and getting me that extra strength to propel me into those areas.”

The improvement in the sophomore’s play has not gone unnoticed by Jackson, who credits a lot of Oglevie’s improvement and rapid development to his newfound confidence.

“I think the biggest thing is confidence. His strength has improved, which helps build confidence, and he got off to a good start, which gave him even more confidence,” Jackson said. “We always knew he had some playmaking ability, and we’ve tried to encourage him to play inside the dots a little more, and I think because of his additional strength, he’s been able to do that.”

Looking forward to the rest of the season, Oglevie will look to continue his hot start, and that starts this weekend with a matchup against fellow a Hockey East program, UMass. He said he realizes the team will need to be focused in against the Minutemen, and that starts with his work on the power play.

“Coach has been stressing that we need to get the power play going again because we’ve been kind of lacking the last few games,” Oglevie said. “I’d say as a power play goal, we want to make sure to get on the board this weekend and have some success there, and obviously as a team goal, we want to go out there and try to get two wins and come back here to focus on [Boston College] so we can go have a good Christmas break.”