SMC implements new security position

In her new role as a security liaison, student body vice president Mary Joy Dingler voices the safety concerns of her peers to the administration and members of the security team.

Dingler said she serves as an intermediary between security and students to promote a comfortable campus environment where everyone can thrive.

“My hope is that the Saint Mary’s community will feel safer and heard with the creation of this new position,” Dingler said. “The security liaison position should make one less thing for the students to worry about. I hope they take comfort in knowing I am actively listening to their needs, and I use my relationship with the administration to make sure their concerns are addressed.”

According to Dingler, she and student body president Emma McCarthy decided to initiate this new position to foster open communication among members of the Saint Mary’s community.

“It was the number one priority on Emma and my platform because we want every student to feel safe and heard by both security and the administration,” she said.

This new responsibility allows Dingler to promote campus safety and unite the community, she said.

“I think students feel a disconnect between students, security and the administration,” Dingler said. “It’s my job, not only as security liaison, but also as a student leader in general, to bridge that gap.”

Dingler said she and McCarthy decided to put the student body vice president in charge of fulfilling the security liaison position, rather than appoint a student representative who may not have as many opportunities to meet with the administration.

“Our line of thinking was the vice president already interacts with the administration on a day-to-day basis, so I have more insight as to what’s happening on the administrative level,” she said. “This insight will give me more information and knowledge in my interactions with the College on safety concerns.”

According to Dingler, her role as vice president is essential to the success of this new role because she can respond promptly to safety concerns that may arise.

“Having the student body vice president act as the security liaison also adds a higher level of accountability to the position,” Dingler said. “Some safety concerns can be addressed just by talking with members of the Student Affairs division, so it’s nice that I have a working relationship with members of the administration.”

The security liaison position should help alleviate any worries students may have regarding safety on campus, Dingler said.

“It’s obviously important for every student on this campus to feel safe, no matter what,” she said. “Security shouldn’t be a concern for any students, so it is my job to make sure that Saint Mary’s students are comfortable approaching members of security.”

Dingler said this new responsibility increases productivity and efficiency because she can streamline many students’ questions or issues and address them promptly.

“Safety on campus is an all-inclusive issue,” Dingler said. “By addressing various safety needs and concerns … I am acting as a voice for the student body.”

Dingler said she has already responded to concerns about limited lighting in the parking lot at night and clowns on campus, and she will continue to address issues as they arise.

“My job as the security liaison, and all future security liaisons, should help promote a more positive and safe environment all around campus,” Dingler said. “Safety concerns are always an issue on every college campus, and ours isn’t any different.”