Student awarded scholarship to study in Cambridge

Senior John Huber, applied and computational mathematics and statistics major, received a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a master’s degree at the University of Cambridge, according to a press release.

Huber’s research has focused on constructing mathematical models for the transmission of mosquito-borne pathogens, including malaria and dengue.

Huber will pursue a master’s degree in veterinary science in the Department of Veterinary Medicine. A native of Gainesville, Florida, Huber has researched infectious disease, which he considers the intersection of his interests in global health, mathematics and social justice.

“At a time when drug resistance is rapidly outpacing the discovery of new antibiotics, I am excited to have the opportunity to contribute to the body of research on such a time-sensitive matter,” Huber said in the release. “I feel honored to join the Gates Cambridge community and look forward to an enriching year at Cambridge in the Department of Veterinary Medicine.”

According to the release, Huber will complete an M.D.-Ph.D. program and pursue a career in academic medicine.

“I am interested in serving as a clinician and conducting epidemiological research in the field of infectious diseases, where I would make clinically relevant contributions in the interest of global health,” he said in the release. “Further, I aim to teach at the graduate of postgraduate level to educate the next generation of physician-scientists.”

Huber is one of 36 American students out of 800 applicants to receive the scholarship, which fully funds postgraduate study and research in any subject at Cambridge, according to the release.

This postgraduate scholarship program was established through a $210 million donation to the University of Cambridge from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation in 2000. According to the release, this donation is the largest to a U.K. university.

This scholarship emphasizes social leadership in its selection process, and the mission of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.