The Observer announces 2017-2018 department heads

Five new and two returning department heads will complete The Observer’s 2017-2018 Editorial Board, incoming Editor-in-Chief Ben Padanilam announced Wednesday night.

The new department editors will join Padanilam, incoming Managing Editor Katie Galioto, and Assistant Managing Editors Marek Mazurek, Rachel O’Grady and Megan Valley in running the paper’s editorial operations.

Juniors Chris Collins, Adam Ramos and Martha Reilly and sophomores Courtney Becker, Mary Freeman, Elizabeth Greason and Lauren Weldon will take over their respective departments March 19.

Collins hails from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and has been working in the Photo department since his freshman year. Collins will now run the department for a second stint, after previously having done so in the fall before leaving to study abroad in Dublin this semester. He is junior pursuing a degree in marketing with a supplemental major in applied and computational mathematics and statistics. Chris’ favorite thing to photograph is football, specifically games played during a hurricane.

Ramos, a native of Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, will assume the role of Scene Editor after returning in the fall from his semester abroad in Santiago, Chile. A Scene contributor since his freshman year, he is currently pursuing a degree in international economics with a minor in the program of philosophy, religion and literature.

Reilly, the incoming Saint Mary’s Editor, began writing for The Observer her freshman year and has covered topics such as student government and energy conservation. She is pursuing degrees in English literature and political science. She is from Libertyville, Illinois, but currently resides in Le Mans Hall.

Becker, a resident of Pasquerilla West Hall, will head the News department. She began her work with The Observer in fall 2015 and has since covered a variety of topics, including the student government entrepreneurship and innovation initiative and the Football Friday features. Becker hails from New York City and is pursuing a degree in film, television and theatre.

Freeman will be taking on the position of Viewpoint Editor. She began working for The Observer this fall as a copy editor for the department and is a current member of the Walsh community living in Pangborn Hall. Hailing from Kansas City, Missouri, Freeman is a program of liberal studies major and secondary education minor.

Greason has been writing for The Observer since her freshman year and will take over as Sports Editor. She is currently covering Notre Dame women’s basketball and women’s lacrosse and has previously covered volleyball and men’s golf. She is a native of New York City currently living in McGlinn Hall and pursuing a degree in civil engineering.

Weldon, originally from Los Altos, California, will continue in the role of Graphics Editor, which she has held since the start of this semester. A resident of Breen-Phillips Hall, she has been a graphic designer for The Observer for two years. She is a business analytics and visual communication design double-major and also works for the Alumni Association and the Gender Relations Center.