Kiefer rises to No. 1 in world rankings

Irish senior foilist Lee Kiefer rose to the No. 1 spot in the world rankings after becoming the first American female foilist to win two FIE (International Fencing Federation) Grand Prix gold medals, defeating Marta Martynova of Russia, 15-4.

She is also the first American female foilist to achieve the No. 1 world ranking, but she is not the only Notre Dame fencer to reach that pinnacle. Former Irish sabreur Mariel Zagunis was also world No. 1 for a period of time.

Kiefer was a member of the United States Olympic Team at the 2012 London Games and 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro and has won three consecutive NCAA titles. She was also named a First Team All-American in her first three years at Notre Dame.

Kiefer looks to defend her NCAA title the next time she takes the strip in the NCAA championships, which begin Thursday at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis.

Notre Dame senior fencer Lee Kiefer is interviewed at the ACC Championships at Castellan Family Fencing Center on Feb. 28, 2016.