Students participate in local March for Science

Several Saint Mary’s students marched from Howard Park to Jon R. Hunt Memorial Plaza in South Bend's version of the March on Science, a celebration of science and a call for science to be involved in governmental policy, on Saturday.

Sophomore Teresa Brickey said in an email the March for Science calls for more funding for scientific research and progress.

“The March for Science was a celebration of science in general and a call to uphold the dignity of such studies,” she said. “For me, it was about showing our current administration there is no such thing as alternative facts — just facts. And these facts need to be protected and held in a high regard. We must aim for a society that funds research and progress, not walls or for-profit deportation centers.”

Brickey said she attended the South Bend March for Science with several other Saint Mary’s students and she marched because as a Catholic and aspiring lawyer, she wants to help others cement science’s place in society.

“Personally, I have been attending as many protests and demonstrations that align with my faith and personal morals,” she said. “Science and faith do go hand in hand. As a devout Catholic, global citizen and breathing human being, it is my responsibility to do as much as I can to protect truths and to protect the common dignity that we all share. Science is real and should be left out of absurd political party agendas, hence why the march was bipartisan.”

Freshman Olivia Garza said in an email she marched because she and her mother strongly believe in water conservation and the importance of raising awareness for global warming.

“My mom is a hippie and strongly believes in conservation of water and reducing our carbon footprint,” Garza said. “Also, the Trump administration is cutting the [Environmental Protection Agency] by 31 percent, which is very alarming. I also marched for global warming.”

Brickey said the March for Science was necessary because America’s current administration wants to cut funding to several environmental and educational factions of the government.  

“Our current administration is in the process of creating their budget cuts,” she said. “They intend to decrease the allocation of funding to groups like the EPA, National Parks, the Department of Education,  grants that protect our water quality and many other areas that simply are more important than offsetting the increase in defense funding.”

Garza said she believes the March for Science is a march for future generations.

“Students are the future,” she said. “We are the future teachers, lawyers, doctors, parents of America, and I want this plant to continue to be beautiful for the future. If we disregard climate change and global warming, we are doing disservice to ourselves and to future generations.”

Garza said students have the opportunity to raise awareness for science, education and conservation.

“I encourage students to recycle, to shop at thrift stores online or in person, use reusable water bottles or Brita filters and reusable bags,” she said. “March for science, keep updated on the EPA and other political issues that concern climate. We can plant trees within our own communities.”