University faculty members awarded ACLS fellowships

Four faculty members in Notre Dame’s College of Arts and Letters have won fellowships from the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), the University announced in a press release Monday.

Members of the history department Mariana Candido, Evan Ragland and Deborah Tor were three of 71 ACLS fellows selected, and philosophy professor Katherine Brading won one of nine collaborative research fellowships, according to the press release.

Professor of history and department chair Patrick Griffin said the department is honored to have multiple fellowship recipients.

“It’s extremely gratifying to see our department being honored by our peers,” he said in the press release. “We have made a point of hiring ambitious scholars, encouraging them to do the best work they can and providing an intellectual community that can foster this kind of achievement. We’re poised to take off as a top-notch department, and these awards are harbingers of that potential.”

According to the press release, Candido — an associate professor of history who is researching west-central Africa during the trans-Atlantic slave trade — “will study accounts of African women who accumulated wealth during the 19th century.”

Ragland — an assistant professor of history who explores the history of science and medicine — will study how experimentation became prominent in science in the 17th century. Ragland said the fellowship will provide the opportunity for him to broaden the scope of his research.

“It’s going to give me a chance to bring in new and exciting material I’ve been itching to include,” he said in the press release.

Tor — another associate professor of history who focuses in medieval Islamic history — will write about the Seljuq Dynasty that “reshaped Islamic society in the 11th and 12th centuries,” the press release said.

Brading will partner with Boston College professor Marius Stan to assess “the parting of the ways between philosophers and physicists during the Enlightenment” for a project they will complete together thanks to their joint fellowship, according to the press release.