McGlinn Hall benefactor dies

University trustee emeritus and benefactor of McGlinn Hall Terrence J. McGlinn died Sept. 12, the University announced in a press release Thursday. McGlinn was 77.

In addition to serving as a member of the Board of Trustees, McGlinn was also a University Fellow, a member of the advisory council for the Mendoza College of Business and a Notre Dame graduate of the class of 1962.

According to the press release, the University presented McGlinn with an honorary degree in 2004 for combining “his 50 years of personal perspective on Notre Dame with sharply honed professional expertise” to benefit Notre Dame.

“Terry was a beloved member of the Notre Dame family, a wise and trusted adviser and a generous benefactor,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release. “We mourn his passing, and we hold Bobbie, their children, other family members and his many friends in our prayers.”

McGlinn rector Sister Mary Lynch said McGlinn remained committed to McGlinn Hall and its residents since the hall’s opening.

“Terry McGlinn loved the women of McGlinn, and was always excited to hear any news about the things we did and the accomplishments that we achieved, and was absolutely very generous to us,” she said. “I mean everybody here always remembers his Christmas gifts every year.”

In addition to being the hall’s benefactor, Lynch said McGlinn was also a true friend.

“I used to enjoy just talking to him — and we could talk for 40 minutes to an hour about all kinds of things,” she said. “He was always excited to hear that we had won the Kelly Cup, and also any of the teams that would reach the championship points or whatever. He was always thrilled to hear about that, as well as the other accomplishments — sports weren’t just the only thing.”

McGlinn’s effort to be involved in the hall community made an impact on the dorm, Lynch said.

“He always made a strong connection with us,” she said. “That, to me, was significant. How much he connected and wanted to know and wanted to hear about what we were doing.”

Outside of Notre Dame, McGlinn was a general partner of the private investment partnership Walnut Street Associates, worked with several other limited partnerships and was generous with his philanthropic work, according to the press release.

McGlinn is survived by his wife, Barbara (Bobbie), and their four children — all of whom are Notre Dame graduates, according to the press release.

McGlinn’s family will receive friends at Kuhn Funeral Home in West Reading, Pennsylvania, on Sunday from 4 to 7 p.m., according to the press release, and the funeral will be at St. Ignatius Loyola Church on Monday at 10 a.m.

Sports Editor Elizabeth Greason contributed to this report.