A Night Away: Chicago Concert Previews

1504218963-44974f2fd6ecaf8
Dominique DeMoe | The Observer

As we return to the bubble that Notre Dame seamlessly creates around its campus and brace ourselves for the fall semester, it is only a matter of time before we start itching to get away for a weekend. What better way to temporarily liberate ourselves from difficult classes and hearing about how each of our peers saved the world this past summer than attending a concert in Chicago? This fall, our favorite artists are taking their tours to South Bend’s favorite metropolitan neighbor. So mark your calendars, buy your tickets and enjoy the night away from your home under the dome.

Ms. Lauryn Hill and Nas — September 7, Huntington Bank Pavilion

Not attending a Ms. Lauryn Hill concert is the equivalent of skipping out on Domerfest, except much, much worse. The Fugee’s frontwoman has been in and out of the public spotlight for the past twenty years, unexpectedly releasing soulful, genre-bending music to the excitement of her dedicated fans before retreating back into her private personal life for long hiatuses. This fall, she is making her way around the states with none other than Nas, one of the most seminal rappers of our time. This show is sure to be filled with great music, good vibes and a lot of history-making.

Bryson Tiller — September 15, Aragon Ballroom

After his sophomore studio album, “True to Self,” debuted as number one on the Billboard 200 chart back in May, it was clear that Bryson Tiller had officially made his mark on the R&B genre and overall music industry. He has created his own unique sense of musicality by combining trap beats with smoother hip-hop influences and has collaborated with a wide range of famed artists, including DJ Khaled, Rihanna and Travis Scott. With opening performances by the equivocal R&B artist H.E.R. and the renowned rapper and producer Metro Boomin, the Chicago stop of the "Set It Off" tour at the enchanting Aragon Ballroom will make for an exceptional evening.

Enrique Iglesias & Pitbull — October 7, Allstate Arena

We would all be lying if we said we didn’t know the words to at least one Pitbull song. Whether you throw it back to rapping every lyric of “Hotel Room Service” at your high school homecoming or hearing “El Taxi” play three times in a row at New Finnie’s, we have all had a personal connection with Mr. Worldwide. Then there is the ever-so-suave Enrique Iglesias, widely recognized as the King of Latin Pop, who is sure to put on a great show. If you never had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain or Latin America, or you did have that opportunity and absolutely thrived, this show is probably for you.

Syd — November 8, TBA

As a member of the hip hop collective Odd Future and lead singer of the alternative R&B band The Internet, Syd Tha Kyd created an astounding name for herself even before venturing into her already-successful solo career. Her ironically titled debut album, “FIN,” showcases her sultry, yet airy, vocals as well as her skilled production abilities. Syd’s charismatic personality and activism as a gay female artist make her a rising artist to watch out for, and the Chicago slot of her first solo tour should be an unforgettable night.