University trustee emeritus dies

Notre Dame trustee emeritus Robert Wilmouth died Sept. 14 at the age of 88, the University announced in a press release Tuesday.

University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release that Wilmouth left a lasting impact on the Notre Dame community throughout his time as a student, alumnus and member of the Board of Trustees.

“Bob served on our Board of Trustees for more than 40 years, providing invaluable advice on many matters, but especially with respect to our financial foundation,” Jenkins said in the release. “His friendship, generosity and love for Notre Dame will never be forgotten. Our prayers are with his family and friends.”

According to the release, Wilmouth received his undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross before obtaining a master’s degree from the University. After his graduation, he spent 27 years in the banking industry, founded the Natural Futures Association and funded the Wilmouth Library Endowment at Notre Dame.

Wilmouth joined the Board of Trustees in 1975, and he acted as the chairman of the University’s Badin Guild from 1992 to 1999, the press release said. The University awarded Wilmouth an honorary degree in 1984, and each of his five children also graduated from Notre Dame.

A visitation will take place Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Friday from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home in Palatine, Illinois.