Irish down Ohio State for first win over ranked opponent since 2012

Notre Dame defeated the No. 24 Ohio State Buckeyes on Sunday at Purcell Pavilion, recording their first win against a ranked opponent since a 2012 victory over then-No. 10 Louisville.

The Irish (7-1) played a two-game series with Ohio State (5-3) over the weekend following the cancellation of the Coastal Carolina Classic due to the arrival of Hurricane Irma on the east coast.

In the first match on Friday evening in Columbus, Notre Dame fell to the Buckeyes by a score of 3-0. The loss broke their 6-0 record — the best season start since 2005 and the fourth best in program history.

Irish senior setter Caroline Holt sets the ball during Notre Dame’s 3-1 win over Valparaiso on Aug. 25 at Compton Family Ice Arena. Holt tallied 49 assists during the match.

Ohio State took the opening set by a score of 25-20, leading the Irish for most of the set.

In the second set, the Buckeyes took an early lead as the Irish went down 9-3. Notre Dame cut the lead to 15-12, but the Buckeyes managed to hold on, claiming the second set 25-21 and taking a 2-0 lead in the match.

The third set was the closest of the night, with the score tied at 23-23 nearing the end of the set. The Buckeyes scored the last two points, securing the set 25-23 and thus the match 3-0.

Sophomore outside hitter Jemma Yeadon gave a standout performance on the road, leading the Irish with 13 kills and 10 digs. The match at Ohio State was her fifth double-double on the season.

Senior setter Caroline Holt was also a key contributor, coming up with 36 assists and nine digs in the match.

On Sunday, the Irish returned home to play a second match against the Buckeyes, winning 3-1 and remaining unbeaten at home this season.

The Irish won the first set 25-22, holding strong in a tight frame and relying on the serves from freshman libero Madison Cruzado to close out the game.

The Buckeyes came back to take the second set 25-21, maintaining the lead from the very start. Notre Dame managed to come within one point at 21-20, but they were unable to secure the win in the set.

In their most dominant performance of the night, the Irish took a 2-1 lead in the match after winning the third set 25-12. They led by 12 points part way through the match and maintained their lead throughout.

Notre Dame carried this momentum through the last set, closing the fourth frame with a win by a score of 25-17.

Yeadon commanded the court once again, finishing the home match with 19 kills and 19 digs and recording her sixth double-double on the season.

Looking ahead, Notre Dame will play in the Shamrock Invitational, taking on its second ranked opponent of the season in No. 21 Michigan State at 7 p.m. on Friday at Purcell Pavilion.