No. 7 Notre Dame ties No. 10 Virginia in ACC battle

No. 7 Notre Dame (6-2-1, 2-1-1 ACC) and conference-foe No. 10 Virginia (6-1-2, 1-1-2) played to a 1-1 tie on Friday night in front of a large crowd at Alumni Stadium.

The Irish almost got on the board early during the 10th minute, but a header shot by junior defender Felicien Dumas went wide of the goal. Two minutes later, the Cavaliers had a chance of their own, forcing graduate student goaltender Chris Hubbard to make a save.

Irish senior forward Kyle Dedrick shoots the ball during Notre Dame's 3-0 win over North Carolina State on Sept. 15 at Alumni Stadium.

After a lengthy period of back and forth play, Virginia struck first on a shot by Pablo Aguilar that ended up in the back of the net in the 32nd minute to give Virginia a 1-0 lead. While Notre Dame tried to get an equalizer, Virginia kept the lead going into halftime.

In the second half, the Irish finally found their breakthrough when junior midfielder Thomas Ueland buried his second goal of the season in the 52nd minute to tie the game at 1-1.

With the momentum shifted, Notre Dame tried to break the team’s three-game winless streak, and had several chances to take the lead. In the 67th minute, a shot by senior forward Jon Gallagher hit the post. During the 84th and 85th minutes, shots by Gallagher and senior midfielder Kyle Dedrick went wide.

The game went into overtime. During the first overtime period, a shot by senior forward Jeff Farina was blocked away in the 95th minute, while a shot by senior midfielder Blake Townes went over the net a minute later.

In the second overtime period, the Irish had a chance to win the game in the 107th minute, but a shot by Dedrick went wide of the goal. The game ended in a 1-1 deadlock.

With the tie, Notre Dame has a record of 0-2-1 since starting the season 6-0-0. They will look to get back in the win column on Tuesday night when they host Northwestern in a non-conference match at Alumni Stadium.