Cervelli addresses campus community
Observer Staff Report | Monday, October 2, 2017
Saint Mary’s will continue to support victims of sexual assault and maintain the College’s mission, president Jan Cervelli said in an email sent to the College community on Friday.
“Saint Mary’s remains committed to support and respect survivors of sexual violence,” Cervelli said in the email. “In response to proposed changes announced last week by the U.S. Department of Education to federal guidance affecting college investigations of sexual assault, I want to emphasize that Saint Mary’s mission remains unchanged: We show respect for each person and provide support for those in need.”
The Memorandum of Understanding — signed by Cervelli, University president Fr. John Jenkins and former Holy Cross College president Br. John Paige on March 7 — will help spread information, including prevention education, resources, reporting options and procedures. Cervelli said in the email the Memorandum will continue to aid the campus communities in preventing sexual assault.
“The Memorandum of Understanding, which Saint Mary’s signed this year with Notre Dame and Holy Cross, will continue to strengthen our capacity to prevent sexual assault and harassment, as well as respond to accusations with fairness and sensitivity, through the sharing of information and best practices,” Cervelli said.
Students at Saint Mary’s should feel protected under the College’s policies and mission statement, Cervelli said.
“In our efforts to live up to our community values, we look, as always, to the example of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, who guide us toward a peaceful, pastoral engagement with others as a path to healing and justice,” she said. “Everyone at Saint Mary’s College should feel protected and empowered under the policies in place and the mission that inspires our commitment to creating an environment of love and respect.”