Late goal pushes No. 20 Wake Forest over No. 22 Notre Dame

This past weekend, No. 22 Notre Dame dropped a close matchup against No. 20 Wake Forest by a score of 2-1. In a game that saw both teams go back and forth with opportunities, the Demon Deacons (9-2-1, 3-1-0 ACC) were able to escape with a close victory after netting the deciding goal in the 88th minute.

Irish sophomore forward Jennifer Westendorf races for the ball during Notre Dame's 1-0 double-overtime loss to South Carolina on Sept. 1 at Alumni Stadium.

In the early stages of the contest, it was Wake Forest who produced some of the better chances, most notably in the 14th minute when a near goal was prevented by senior midfielder Taylor Klawunder clearing a ball off the goal line to keep the game locked at zero. As first half action continued, the Irish (6-4-2, 2-2-0) began to create some chances of their own, coming close to taking the lead in the 39th minute when a one-timer by midfielder Sandra Yu came within inches of the goal. But just before halftime, it was the Demon Deacons that were finally able to break the deadlock with a goal in the 44th minute, sending the Irish to halftime down 1-0.

After the break, Notre Dame came out looking to equalize, and it wasn’t long before senior defender Ginny McGowan found the back of the net off a Sabrina Flores rebound, tying the game up at one. As time went on, neither team was able to score the go-ahead goal, but with time winding down, a corner kick in the 88th minute sealed the game for the visitors.  After attempting to clear the ball, the Irish found themselves down 2-1 when Wake Forest freshman Vicky Krug gathered the ball inside the box and scored, marking Notre Dame’s third loss of the season at Alumni Stadium.

The loss for the Irish marked Wake Forest’s first win in the all-time series against Notre Dame, a series the Irish lead at 6-1-1.

After playing an extremely competitive non-conference schedule to start the season, Notre Dame has only seen things get tougher as their first four games of ACC play have featured three top-25 matchups. Play thus far in the conference schedule has been somewhat erratic as the Irish offense exploded for four goals in each of its wins, yet the team has put up just one goal total in its two losses.

Notre Dame’s next challenge comes after a week off, as this Thursday the Irish head to Charlottesville, Virginia, for a contest against the No. 15 Virginia Cavaliers at Klockner Stadium.

The game will be televised on the ACC Network as play gets underway at 7 p.m.