Kelly hires new offensive line, safeties coaches

Notre Dame added two new coaches to its staff this past week, hiring new offensive line coach Jeff Quinn and safeties coach Terry Joseph.

Quinn, whose hiring was announced Tuesday afternoon, enters his fourth season with Notre Dame, serving as a senior offensive analyst in 2017.

Quinn and Irish head coach Brian Kelly have a long history of coaching together. Quinn was on the same staff as Kelly from 1989 to 2009 at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati.

Quinn served as the head coach of Buffalo from 2010 to 2014, going 20-36 in his four years with the program.  

Quinn thanked Kelly, University President Fr. John Jenkins and athletic director Jack Swarbrick for the opportunity in a release.

“There’s a tremendous legacy of coaching the offensive line at Notre Dame, from Brian Boulac to Merv Johnson to Joe Moore to Harry Hiestand,” he said. “As each of those men will tell you, the focus of this job has been and always will be about the best interests of the players in the offensive line room, both on and off the field. I’m simply honored to now serve in this role.”

Quinn replaces Harry Hiestand, who left the Irish to return to the same position with the Chicago Bears.

“Jeff has helped produce NCAA, conference and school record-breaking offenses along with multiple conference, bowl and national championships over his 34 years as a college football coach,” Kelly said. “He has an accomplished track record of not only identifying but also developing outstanding offensive linemen. Jeff also understands the high standard of offensive line play at Notre Dame, having been part of the offensive staff the last few years. He will continue to develop the culture necessary to produce college football’s top offensive line.”

Last year, Notre Dame’s offensive line won the Joe Moore award, given to the nation’s best offensive line.

On Sunday, 247sports first reported that North Carolina defensive backs coach Terry Joseph would join Notre Dame’s staff as the safeties coach. Notre Dame has not announced the hire, but multiple media outlets have reported the move.

Joseph has coaching experience at Tennessee, Nebraska, Louisiana Tech, Washington State and Texas A&M. Joseph was the recruiting coordinator at Tennessee and Louisiana Tech.

In 2015 at Texas A&M, the Aggies boasted the nation’s fourth highest passing defense.

Joseph replaces Mike Elko, who coached the safety position as well as serving as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator last year before taking the defensive coordinator role at Texas A&M.