-

-

Saint Mary’s declares Dining Hall ‘strawless’

| Tuesday, January 23, 2018

To limit its environmental impact, Saint Mary’s will no longer offer straws in Noble Family Dining Hall, according to a College press release.

College President Jan Cervelli and seniors Carolyn Arcuri and Kristhel Torre launched this campaign in an effort to combat plastic waste, since Americans throw away an estimated 500 million plastic straws every day, the release states.

“Disposable straws are piling up in landfills and harming the environment, adding substantially to the tons of plastic waste discharged into the ocean and lakes every year,” Cervelli said. “If you can make a choice to skip using a plastic straw, why not? And if you can make this one choice, maybe you can do even more.”

Director of dining services Kenneth Acosta is looking into providing reusable straws for purchase, according to the release. Eco-friendlier options include straws made out of glass, silicone or washable stainless-steel.

Cafes on campus will still offer straws as an option, but the move to eliminate straws from the dining hall is intended to encourage students to avoid straws. Students are encouraged to join the movement on social media by using the hashtag #SkipTheStraw and by check out the anti-straw advocacy organization The Last Plastic Straw, the release states.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report