Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Irish to kick off season against Western Michigan

Notre Dame will begin the 2018 season at home against Western Michigan on Tuesday.

The Irish will look to build on their successful fall season and one of its best years in recent history in the 2016-17 season.

Notre Dame finished last season with an 18-10 record and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament before falling to Ohio State.

1516667080-34429d171c23634-1024x659
Observer File Photo
Irish junior Rachel Chong returns the ball during Notre Dame's 5-2 win over Purdue on Feb. 22 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

The Irish will look to the experienced duo of seniors in Brooke Broda and Allison Miller to serve as its veteran leaders. Broda and Miller, alongside, junior Rachel Chong will serve as the three most experienced competitors for an Irish roster heavy with freshman.

Three of the four freshmen on the roster saw playing time this fall season, as Ally Bojczuk, Caroline Dunleavy and Cameron Corse racked up a combined fall singles record of 20-7 in the fall season. Freshman Evangeline Shannon is also looking to make a splash this spring.

Changes for this season include the movement of Broda into the No. 1 singles spot and her longtime doubles partner Miller into the No. 2 spot.

Sophomore Zoe Spence is also set to compete more in singles and doubles both with the veterans and the freshmen. Last fall, Spence and the three team veterans — Broda, Miller and Chong — combined for a 24-9 showing in singles competitions.

Sophomore Bess Waldram, who was injured for her freshman season, will also return to the doubles lineup this spring.

In terms of scheduling, the Irish will host 14 teams during the regular season and visit nine, ending the regular season at home against Miami on April 22.

The Irish and the Broncos have met on 21 occasions, with Notre Dame leading the series 17-4. Notre Dame and Western Michigan will meet Tuesday at 5 p.m. at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.