The Observer is a student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame, Saint Mary's & Holy Cross. Learn about us.



Bengal Bouts conclude semifinals

, , , , and | Tuesday, February 27, 2018

141 lbs.

Thomas “Tommy Gun” Manno def. Evan “Almighty” Muller

In an all-Zahm House battle, senior Thomas Manno started the first round throwing quick, clean punches, countered by freshman Evan Muller’s more wild style. Matching the senior well for the first 30 seconds, Muller’s flying swings eventually caught up with him and he began to lose steam, leaving his face open for Manno’s precise jabs. In the second round, Muller came back with a burst of energy, while Manno kept his calmer approach. Again, Muller’s energy faded and Manno’s hits caused the bout to be halted twice to adjust Muller’s headgear. In the third round, Manno surprised with a burst of energy and impressed with the ability to keep his punches clean, but also more powerful than the first two rounds. Manno’s precision and technique prevailed as he won by unanimous decision.

Chris Dethlefs def. Dan “I Don’t Tan” Wilborn

Chris Dethlefs, a senior from Sorin, wasted no time throwing the first punch after the bell rang to start the fight. Dan Wilborn, a senior from Alumni, was forced onto the defensive, shielding his head with his gloves and throwing punches back when he could. Dethlefs carried on his relentless assault through the first round, at one point causing Wilborn to stumble into the ropes and fall to his knees. Both fighters came out of the gate swinging in the second round, with each employing a variety of techniques ranging from high and low punches to headbutts. Dethlefs’ gloves connected with Wilborn’s torso several times in the third round, and though Wilborn held strong and responded with as many punches as he could, Dethlefs’ efforts proved to be too much to overcome. Dethlefs won the match by unanimous decision.

148 lbs.

Matt “The Fightin’ Amish” Yoder def. Leonard “Lenny” Calvo

Both fighters were cautious to start the match, and they developed a pattern: Dancing around the ring, the two would size each other up until Leonard Calvo, a Keough freshman, would lunge at Matt Yoder with three or four quick hits. Yoder, a senior in O’Neill, would quickly fight him off, and then they would return to dancing. By the second round, they had clearly finished sizing each other up. Neither hesitated in making several attacks to the other’s head, and the two seemed to challenge each other equally until Calvo fell to one knee toward end the round. Both were visibly more tired in the third round, though Yoder had more power behind his swings to finish the match. Calvo altered his technique and began ducking several of Yoder’s hits, but Yoder was awarded the win by unanimous decision.

Joaquin “Hindi Humuhupa” Camara def. Tim “Lokte” Leisenring

Keenan senior and captain Joaquin Camara came out punching with several jabs to start the round. His opponent, Tim Leisenring, a sophomore from Morrissey Manor, gave a weak response. Camara used his shorter height to his advantage, doing a combination of high and low hits to make an impact early on and dominate the first round. Leisenring tried to use his reach more in the second round, but Camara was quick to step back when Leisenring went for the punches. Camara continued to use his speed to his advantage with quick combinations, but Leisenring landed most of his hits in the round. His less aggressive first round allowed him to preserved his stamina, while Camara seemed more tired from his earlier round approach. In the final round, Camara still maintained his advantage with a few powerful hits as the third round came to a close. Camara won by unanimous decision.

154 lbs.

Michael “The K.O.” Feijoo def. Tim “Dirty T” Mikulski

Morrissey junior Michael Feijoo began the matchup with a smooth, low approach, while his taller opponent, Duncan Mikulski, fought more upright. Feijoo used patience and frequent movement around the ring to push Mikulski into the ropes and explode with powerful attacks several times. The second round saw a burst of energy as both boxers came out swinging, and Feijoo’s patient style began to falter as Mikulski found opportunities to get in valuable contact during Feijoo’s pauses. However, Feijoo was able to shift his weight to sneak punches in and overwhelm the more upright Mikulski. In the third round, both boxers exhibited signs of fatigue, but even Mikulski’s well-timed attacks weren’t enough to top Feijoo’s style and power, and Feijoo brought home the win by unanimous decision.

Bridget Donnelly | The Observer
Michael “The K.O.” Feijoo, right, throws a punch at Tim “Dirty T” Mikulski during the semifinal round of the 88th annual Bengal Bouts.

Steven “Beefcake” Ramos def. Julian “Do You Have a Warrant” Minondo

Patience ruled supreme in this bout, as the only first round action came late when Steven Ramos’ upright, precise fighting style allowed him to land punches on the more fluid Julian Minondo. Ramos, a senior representing Zahm House, took the offensive in the first round, but in the second round, Minondo, a senior representing O’Neill, started with an aggressive approach. Ramos responded with an attack that danced Minondo around the ring. Minondo earned hits with a few powerful swings, and continued the third round strong, holding the upper hand for the first half of the third round. After the initial burst, it was back to normal for the two boxers, as Ramos made Minondo pay with strong jabs to the face while feeding off the crowd energy. In a split decision, Ramos’ more frequent success in attacks made the difference as he lifted his fist with the win.

162 lbs.

Johnny Link def. Jack “WOMP” Feger

O’Neill sophomore Johnny Link came out aggressive and set the pace early in the first round against the Keough senior Jack Feger. Feger responded to a flurry of  punches from Link by remaining calm. Midway through the first round, both fighters started taking and throwing big punches. In the second round, both were swinging hard and by midway, both looked visibly tired with Feger landing some late hits on Link to end the round. In the final round, Link connected on many high punches. By the end of the third, both were swinging for the fences with both connecting on some big punches. At the end, Link’s early efforts helped him get the split decision victory in this tight bout.

Joey “Mrong” Quinones def. Tim “Boy Kid Wonder” Lawler

At the bell, Joey Quinones, a senior captain representing Keough, came out with an impressive and clean combination to start the bout. Tim Lawler, a freshman from Holy Cross, was quick on his feet, but threw less punches. Lawler did respond, often striking best on counterattacks. By the end of the round, both had gotten in solid hits. Lawler’s hooks started the second round in his favor. Quinones showed much less aggression, going for single jabs but having a harder time landing his combinations. But Quinones bated Lawler at the end of the second round, giving him the chance to respond with some effective hits. Even when Lawler got him up against the ropes, Quinones still got hits in. Although both boxers were worn out, Quinones ended up holding on with a split-decision victory.

165 lbs.

Danny “No Chill” Childers def. Parker “Zika” Revers

The match between Keough senior Danny Childers and Fisher sophomore Parker Revers was a battle of length, with both using their reach to their advantages, resulting in a close first round. Revers came out more aggressive in the second, while Childers came out more defensive, taking only calculated swings, connecting at a high percentage and landing big punches late in the round. By the third round, Childers was in control of the match and had become the aggressor. Childers ended up taking the match in a unanimous decision to advance to the final.

Mike “Deez” Luchini def. Luke “Riff” Rafferty

Duncan junior Luke Rafferty showed strength in the first round, nearly knocking down Mike Luchini, a junior representing Fisher Hall. Luchini seemed unphased though, keeping a strong stance and choosing his attacks wisely. Rafferty’s more offensive approach appeared to put him ahead by the end of the first round.  Luchini used what he learned from the first round to better dodge Rafferty’s attacks and launch more effective counter attacks in the second. Rafferty again fought offensively, but by the end of the round a few solid hits and combinations by Luchini put him a better position and made the match a close one. Luchini’s energy was higher going into the third round, showing much more movement on the ring that left Rafferty unsure and on the defensive. Luchini showed his capabilities in this round, finishing on a good note with a big final blow at the end. Luchini’s strong showing in the third round ultimately pulled him ahead and, he was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

170 lbs.

Paddy Lawler def. Dan O’Brien

Fisher senior Paddy Lawler came out of the gates swinging in his semifinal contest with St. Edward’s Hall freshman Dan O’Brien, and kept up that energy throughout the round. Lawler proved himself to be a bit too elusive for the younger O’Brien early on. To start the second round, Lawler was visibly less energized, but was still able to connect on some head shots against the taller O’Brien. This decline in energy did allow for O’Brien to connect on more punches throughout the second. By the final round, both seemed pretty tired with O’Brien taking advantage and landing a couple of big hits on Lawler. Ultimately, Lawler’s speed and elusiveness were too much for O’Brien and Lawler took the fight in a unanimous decision.

Patrick “Payday” Yerkes def. Taylor “The Biggest Loser” Vucinich

Taylor Vucinich, a sophomore from Alumni Hall, started the opening round with a series of quick punches to Patrick Yerkes who offered little retaliation, taking hit after hit. Yerkes, a senior from St. Edward’s Hall, stayed on the defensive for most of the first round, blocking his head from Taylor’s hits. Vucinich landed a lot of punches on Yerkes, despite the senior’s defensive-minded first two minutes. In the second round, Yerkes had much better defense and held Vucinich in one corner of the ring for a major portion of the period. Vucinich still attempted many quick and hard shots, but much less than in the first round. In the final round, Vucinich started with a flurry of hits, but Yerkes pushed Vucinich back into the corner, hitting the sophomore with plenty of body and head shots, ultimately resulting in a split decision victory.

178 lbs.

Wes “Hit and Run” Chamblee def. Charlie “Tigger” Puntillo

Both fighters started the fight by patiently waiting for a chance to strike. Wes Chamblee, a junior from O’Neill Hall, found a rhythm and sent Charlie Puntillo to three different corners of the ring, hitting him with strong left hooks. Puntillo, an off-campus law student, was unable to use his height advantage, as he conceded several head shots throughout the fight. Chamblee was making the most of the patient strategy used by both fighters, as he landed many more strong hits on Puntillo than the former returned. In the final round, Puntillo was put against the ropes countless times as he was pushed back by Chamblee’s punches and tried his best to defend against them. Towards the end, Puntillo was showing signs of exhaustion as Chamblee just controlled the tempo of the fight. Chamblee took the victory by unanimous decision.

Jack “One Ayyyyyyyye” McDermott def. Mark “He Needs Some Milk” Chaikovsky

Mark Chaikovsky went straight to Jack McDermott in the opening seconds, going almost exclusively for shots to the head. McDermott weathered the initial onslaught and defended well throughout the opening round. McDermott moved around a lot, trying to stay on the exterior sides of the ring. In the second round, McDermott, a junior in O’Neill Hall, went on the offensive, cornering Chaikovsky several times and going for big hits. Chaikovsky, a senior in Keenan Hall, responded by attempting head shots. McDermott obtained back-to-back hits to Chaikovsky’s head. In the final round, both fighters exchanged big hits and Chaikovsky became frustrated with McDermott’s constant hugging. Chaikovsky suffered a bloody nose as he got hit in the face several times in the closing seconds. McDermott won the bout in a unanimous decision.

186 lbs.

Cam “Crash Cadillac” Nolan def. Bryce Tournat

Both fighters started off by patiently waiting for the other to make a move. Cam Nolan, a junior from Duncan Hall, landed a few strong hits as Bryce Tournat kept testing him by faking punches. Tournat, a freshman in Keough Hall, was put on the defensive as Nolan landed more hits in the first round. In the closing round, Tournat tried to go for strong hooks but he constantly missed and lost his footing. Nolan delivered a strong hook that caused Tournat to spin as regained his stance. In the closing moments, Nolan landed a huge left hook on Tournat’s head as the freshman attempted his own left hook. Despite an early defensive showing, Tournat was unable to win and Nolan took the victory by split decision.

Michael “Mr. Saturday Night Special” Krecek def. Eric “Cheese Sandwich” Requet

Michael Krecek went straight at Eric Requet to begin the match as he landed hits on Requet’s body. Requet, a sophomore from Sorin College, sent Krecek to the corner early but Krecek escaped with a sublime move to duck and move from the punches. Krecek, a junior from Morrissey Manor, displayed a masterful performance of quick footwork to escape corners and deliver superb offense. In the second round, Requet was sent tumbling into the second rope after losing his footing trying to hit Krecek. Heading into the final round, both fighters were already displaying exhaustion. Requet pushed Krecek towards the corner in the last round and kept him there for a significant amount of time, exchanging hits with the junior. Krecek won the bout by unanimous decision.

204 lbs.

Montana Giordano def. Anthony “Tony” Anonia

Alumni junior Montana Giordano came out strong against off-campus sophomore Anthony Anonia, clearly dictating the first round of the match. In the second round, Anonia managed to come out of his shell, landing a few jabs on Giordano, but Giordano kept most of the momentum in the match. In the third round, fatigue set in for Giordano, and Anonia took advantage, but his efforts fell short as Giordano was awarded the unanimous victory.

Jackson Wrede def. Andrew Sharpe

In a battle between Knott senior Jackson Wrede and Knott freshman Andrew Sharpe, Wrede’s experience allowed him to take an immediate advantage in the opening round. Sharpe settled into the second round, throwing jabs at Wrede to try and make up for the slow start, but Wrede kept him at a distance with strikes of his own. In a fatigue-laden third round, both Wrede and Sharpe exchanged punches with one another. Wrede was declared the winner by unanimous decision.


Pat “The Quiet Man” Gordon def. Keenan “The Foil Enthusiast” Centlivre

Pat Gordon, a senior in Keough, started off by testing Keenan Centlivre, a Siegfried senior, with a number of one-two combos. Centlivre handled some of the combos well defensively, but was unable to keep up with the Gordon’s quickness. Centlivre stumbled after losing his footing while trying to defend Gordon’s punches. Gordon landed a major hit to Centlivre’s head that forced Centlivre to go to the ropes to gather himself. Gordon dodged most of Centlivre’s hits and retaliated with hard and quick jabs. In the second round, Centlivre managed to land a jab to Gordon’s face but, was then met with two-straight left hooks from Gordon. The referee had to pause the bout to check on Centlivre. Moments later, Centlivre fell to one knee after trying to match Gordon’s offensive intensity. The match would end there as Gordon was handed his ticket to the finals in a referee-stopped contest.

Ryan “Eat at Yaz’s” Richelsen def. Ali Thomas Jr.

Ali Thomas, a Duncan sophomore, got the first hit of the bout with a big punch to Ryan Richelsen’s head. Thomas attempted to land more straight punches on the Morrissey junior, but Richelsen defended well. Richelsen countered with punches to Thomas’ head and torso. Thomas started the second round trying to slow Richelsen with a flurry of hits. Richelsen responded by cornering Thomas on two occasions and landing major hits on the sophomore. Richelsen’s defense was even more prevalent in the final round as Thomas would find himself on the ropes several times, unable to keep up with Richelsen’s quick footwork. Thomas left the match with a bloody nose and Richelsen exited with a victory by unanimous decision.



About Charlie Ortega Guifarro

Contact Charlie

About Mia Berry

Contact Mia

About Claire Kramer

Claire Kramer is a senior staff writer majoring in American Studies with minors in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy (JED) and Theology. A proud native Kansas Citian, she never lets anyone forget that indeed, the Royals won the World Series.

Contact Claire

About Abigail Piper

Abby is a senior majoring in English and minoring in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. She also speaks French, as long as you don't ask her something that requires the subjunctive. Primarily running on coffee, she enjoys St. Louis sports, water-skiing, running and watching/listening to/reading true crime.

Contact Abigail

About Carlos De Loera

Carlos is a senior majoring in History and pursuing a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy (JED). He is from the birthplace of In-N-Out Burger, Baldwin Park, California and is glad to be one of the over 18 million people from the Greater Los Angeles area.

Contact Carlos

About Micaela Powers

Micaela Powers is a senior majoring in Film, Television, and Theatre and Political Science.

Contact Micaela